You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

11.5.2 Software Update MIA

In brief, I am running 11.5.1 on a fairly new 16-inch MacBook Pro (2019). No beta profiles, malware apps, or other oddities installed. At this time, the most recent point update to Big Sur (11.5.2) was released ~16 days ago, and yet Software Update within System Preferences repeatedly tells me that my system is up to date. I have tried restarting the machine, then resetting the PRAM/SMC — all to no avail. The software update command in Terminal returns the following message:

Software Update Tool

Finding available software

No new software available.

I've now resorted to downloading the entirety of 11.5.2 (12.44 GB) from the Mac App Store just to facilitate this minor update.

Anyone have a best guess regarding the most likely issue? I'm finding it difficult to troubleshoot the macOS software update process with any proficiency given how little information it provides.

Thanks in advance.

-J

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 11.5

Posted on Aug 26, 2021 10:52 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 27, 2021 8:15 AM

Yes, all those options are enabled. I actually disabled and re-enabled these options as part of the troubleshooting process.

And I don't have any antivirus/malware, disk cleaner, optimizer, or uninstaller apps installed.

Anyways, updating using the full install from the App Store seemed to do the trick — hopefully, this issue doesn't recur.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 27, 2021 8:15 AM in response to PRP_53

Yes, all those options are enabled. I actually disabled and re-enabled these options as part of the troubleshooting process.

And I don't have any antivirus/malware, disk cleaner, optimizer, or uninstaller apps installed.

Anyways, updating using the full install from the App Store seemed to do the trick — hopefully, this issue doesn't recur.

Aug 27, 2021 6:34 AM in response to J_dot_C

Are all the Option is System Preferences >> Software updates enabled ?? In the same place Advanced are they too all enabled.

If all above is Enabled >> Question below >>

Are there any AntiVirus, Disk Cleaner, Optimizers, Un-installers, etc installed which should be removed as per Developers Instructions. They are useless, unneeded, cause havoc and interfere with the normal operation of the OS and may even Corrupt the OS requiring a Reinstallation. The Built-in Security of Big Sur is all that is required.

Any of the above are used, it may have been the cause of what is being experienced.

11.5.2 Software Update MIA

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.