You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Big problem after erase and clean install of Big Sur!

I tried to do a clean install of Big Sur on my Catalina iMac.

I booted up from an external SSD.

There were 2 drives showing in Disk Utility as in the picture below (which is NOT my iMac).

I had no problem erasing Mac HD but Mac HD-Data refused/failed to erase.

So I continued to install Big Sur on my iMac which succeeded except for one thing. . . . although there was no sign of all the data that had been on my Mac, it now appears that I have 2 Mac HD-Data volumes, one with only 4.27GB used and the other with about 349GB used.

All this data should have been erased. There is no sign of it anywhere.

Can you tell me where I went wrong and if possible, how to rectify it?

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 10.14

Posted on Aug 27, 2021 9:36 AM

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 10.14

Posted on Aug 27, 2021 9:38 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 27, 2021 9:55 AM

The correct procedure would have been to erase the whole drive, and not just the volumes.

Fortunately, this is easy to fix!

Control-click the BOTTOM "Data" volume - that is the one that says "Mount Point: /Volumes/Macintosh HD - Data" and choose

"Delete APFS Volume".

Similar questions

5 replies

Aug 27, 2021 10:27 AM in response to Ian R. Brown

Ian R. Brown wrote:

Thanks Tom and Luis.

I started out with Tom's suggestion by selecting the lower Mac HD Data and clicked on "erase".

This removed the data but the volume remained.

I then followed your advice Luis, which only appeared afterwards and that got rid of the unnecessary volume.

I originally wanted to erase the whole drive but only the 2 options in my first screen shot were visible.

How should I have done it? I have never had this problem before.

As Tom said before, you'd need to first select View->Show All Devices, then erase the whole drive:

Aug 27, 2021 10:16 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Thanks Tom and Luis.

I started out with Tom's suggestion by selecting the lower Mac HD Data and clicked on "erase".

This removed the data but the volume remained.

I then followed your advice Luis, which only appeared afterwards and that got rid of the unnecessary volume.

I originally wanted to erase the whole drive but only the 2 options in my first screen shot were visible.

How should I have done it? I have never had this problem before.

Big problem after erase and clean install of Big Sur!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.