You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

in car navigation

I'm looking at switching to iPhone from Android. I use my phone on my car dash with Android auto for navigation, calls and music and was trying to find out if there was an equivalent for iPhone. My car is 2012 and has Bluetooth but that's about it. So carplay on a car display is not an option.

I use android auto on the phone screen. Does carplay work like this? Or would I just have to have the maps app running on the phone and then use my voice to play music and take calls?

What I like about Android auto so much is that it's safer as it prevents me from using the phone while driving, except for those things I mentioned above.

Thanks.

Posted on Aug 28, 2021 10:16 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 29, 2021 5:56 AM

You will be able to use the same setup for your iPhone, i.e. using a mount and connecting it through Bluetooth. Then you can use Apple Maps for navigation and Music, Pandora etc. for playing songs.

Note that you can’t use CarPlay if your car wasn’t equipped with it.

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 29, 2021 5:56 AM in response to budodan

You will be able to use the same setup for your iPhone, i.e. using a mount and connecting it through Bluetooth. Then you can use Apple Maps for navigation and Music, Pandora etc. for playing songs.

Note that you can’t use CarPlay if your car wasn’t equipped with it.

Aug 28, 2021 2:56 PM in response to budodan

I will be glad to offer you a solution but, as you suspect, things can be quite different between information systems (navigation, music, calls etc.) from Android and Apple.

The very best option is to talk to the service manager of the dealership that services your car brand. They are usually very nice and will be willing to help you with setting up your iPhone with the vehicle.

Aug 29, 2021 2:26 AM in response to 6x6

Hi,

Thank you for your response.

So my car is too old to setup anything to. It has a CD player and Bluetooth for audio only.

So currently I have my android phone mounted on the dash and with Android auto running and navigation showing through that on my phone's display. The audio is then connected via Bluetooth to my car's speakers.

If I switch to iPhone and have that mounted to my dash for car journeys, is there software for navigation through the phones display or is it just a case of having the Apple maps app open.

I couldn't find anything to say that carplay works on the iPhone display where your car doesn't have a display, so I assume that it doesn't.

Thanks,

Dan.

Aug 29, 2021 6:44 AM in response to 6x6

Thanks for that.

So wound I need to manually switch between apps while driving?

For example, if I'm using apple maps for navigation and want to play music. I tell Siri to play something. Does it then switch to the music app full screen, or would it play the music while keeping the apple maps app open?

It's not the end of the world but I would prefer the safer option.

Thanks for coming back to me.

Aug 29, 2021 7:03 AM in response to budodan

Before starting driving, I typically start the music first then I switch to Apple Maps and start the navigation. So the navigation stays on the screen the whole time and the music plays in the background. And when the navigation gives you directions, the music automatically mutes so that you can hear the directions on your speakers, and then resumes when the directions are given.

in car navigation

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.