You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't open Pages documents: 'file format is invalid'

Hi

I have a problem with my document on Pages. I am trying to open my document but it says that Documents Name can't be opened right now. The file format is invalid.

I am using a MacBook Pro 13-inch, M1, 2020, Version 11.5.2

Please help me. Give me a tutorial.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.5

Posted on Aug 28, 2021 10:52 AM

8 replies

Aug 30, 2021 2:47 PM in response to andreea232

andreea232, 

Thank you for testing and passing along that message. That you're encountering the issue on multiple devices and the iCloud website leads us to believe there is an issue with the file itself. Are you encountering this with any other documents? Do you recall which device you last had this document open on? Are you able to make a copy of the file outside of iCloud and use it? The following article goes over how, use the steps under iCloud Drive files - Archive or make copies of the information you store in iCloud

Thanks.

Aug 29, 2021 9:51 AM in response to andreea232

Salutations andreea232, 

We understand that you’re encountering a file format error when attempting to open a file in the Pages app. 

Here’s a bit of information we’d like to gather about the situation, so we can lead you down the right next steps. Can you tell us which format this file is in? You can check that in Finder by right/secondary clicking on the file and choosing Get Info. While you’re in there, also check the Sharing & Permissions at the bottom. Is your user set to Read & Write? 

Is the file stored directly on your Mac’s hard drive or is it syncing with iCloud? Which version of macOS are we working with? You’ll find that in Apple menu > About This Mac. 

Thank you. 

Aug 30, 2021 12:17 PM in response to andreea232

andreea232, 

It looks like this document was opened and edited earlier today, are you able to open it on other devices or is that the last attempt you made to open the document? Does launching the document from the iCloud website result in the same message? We ask because this should launch it in Safari as opposed to the Pages app installed on your Mac.

Thank you.

Sep 3, 2021 1:50 PM in response to andreea232

andreea232, 

If this happening only with this one file, then the situation would be isolated to the file. If it's happening with all Pages documents saved to your Files app/iCloud Drive then a bit further isolating would need to be done. For example, if you create a new document in Pages on your Mac, are you able to use that file or does a similar situation occur? If a new file is created on a different device and you try to open it on your Mac does the same error occur?

At this point though, we are going to recommend you reach out to Apple Support and work with them directly on the matter, as we want to be sure all bases get covered to get you back in your document.

You can reach out with this link: Apple Get Support and start with Music, Apps & Services > Mac apps.

Thank you.

Can't open Pages documents: 'file format is invalid'

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.