You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple watch battery life conundrum

So my battery life on my Iwatch 6 went down to about 10 hours. After discussion with apple support, I sent it in for battery replacement as I had tried the recommended solutions like unpairing and repairing the watch. The watch was returned unrepaired as they could not duplicate my battery issue and I started wearing it at 8 am yesterday (Aug 27th) Today at 10:30 am, the watch still has 18% battery life after a total of 26.5 hours. When brand new, it never went over 17-18 hours, so this *unrepaired watch* is now behaving pretty remarkably. On the 27th, I repaired it with my iphone and set it up as a brand new watch but the incredible battery life I am now experiencing is something else.. Can anyone, like an iWatch expert, tell me what is going on?

Posted on Aug 28, 2021 1:36 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 28, 2021 2:47 PM

Hello William Ellwin,

Because you see a different outcome when unpaired vs. paired I am wondering if this could be driven by the shared features between your Apple Watch, iPhone, and iCloud.

This Apple Lithium-Ion Batteries information page has many recommendations for better battery performance. The most important ones in my experience, have been enabling Bluetooth on the iPhone and Watch as well as making sure your watch band is tight enough to maintain a constant "on your wrist" connection. If the band is loose it could be working extra hard to maintain a connected reading from the optional sensor.

https://www.apple.com/batteries/maximizing-performance/

"Adjust your settings.

There are a few ways you can preserve battery life on your Apple Watch:

• During running and walking workouts, turn on Power Saving Mode to disable the heart rate sensor. To do this, open the Apple Watch app on iPhone, go to My Watch > Workout, and turn on Power Saving Mode. Note that when the heart rate sensor is off, calorie burn calculations may not be as accurate.
  • For longer workouts, you can choose to use a Bluetooth chest strap instead of the built-in heart rate sensor. To pair the Bluetooth chest strap with your watch, make sure the strap is in pairing mode, then open Settings on Apple Watch, select Bluetooth, and choose from the list of Health Devices.
  • If you’re very active with your hands and your watch display turns on more than you think it should, you can prevent the display from turning on every time you raise your wrist. Open Settings on Apple Watch, select General, select Wake Screen, and turn Wake Screen on Wrist Raise off. When you want to turn on the display, just tap it or press the Digital Crown.
  • Disabling Bluetooth on your iPhone increases the battery drain on your Apple Watch. For more power-efficient communication between the devices, keep Bluetooth enabled on iPhone."

I hope this helps.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 28, 2021 2:47 PM in response to William Ellwin

Hello William Ellwin,

Because you see a different outcome when unpaired vs. paired I am wondering if this could be driven by the shared features between your Apple Watch, iPhone, and iCloud.

This Apple Lithium-Ion Batteries information page has many recommendations for better battery performance. The most important ones in my experience, have been enabling Bluetooth on the iPhone and Watch as well as making sure your watch band is tight enough to maintain a constant "on your wrist" connection. If the band is loose it could be working extra hard to maintain a connected reading from the optional sensor.

https://www.apple.com/batteries/maximizing-performance/

"Adjust your settings.

There are a few ways you can preserve battery life on your Apple Watch:

• During running and walking workouts, turn on Power Saving Mode to disable the heart rate sensor. To do this, open the Apple Watch app on iPhone, go to My Watch > Workout, and turn on Power Saving Mode. Note that when the heart rate sensor is off, calorie burn calculations may not be as accurate.
  • For longer workouts, you can choose to use a Bluetooth chest strap instead of the built-in heart rate sensor. To pair the Bluetooth chest strap with your watch, make sure the strap is in pairing mode, then open Settings on Apple Watch, select Bluetooth, and choose from the list of Health Devices.
  • If you’re very active with your hands and your watch display turns on more than you think it should, you can prevent the display from turning on every time you raise your wrist. Open Settings on Apple Watch, select General, select Wake Screen, and turn Wake Screen on Wrist Raise off. When you want to turn on the display, just tap it or press the Digital Crown.
  • Disabling Bluetooth on your iPhone increases the battery drain on your Apple Watch. For more power-efficient communication between the devices, keep Bluetooth enabled on iPhone."

I hope this helps.

Aug 29, 2021 11:06 AM in response to Scott-he-him

I guess I wasn't clear... My iWatch 6 suddenly had a drop in battery performance down to 10 hours and after it was returned un-repaired I am now experiencing very long battery life, well over 24 hours.. I do use bluetooth to connect with my iphone and pretty much all the same settings I used before but whatever..now I have very long battery life... In both instances...low battery life and now long battery life the watch was paired with my iPhone...I am also using the paid for cardio app as well and that probably uses some battery life. I am perplexed at my current long long battery life, better than brand new....

Apple watch battery life conundrum

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.