You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook laptops doesn't find HP printer

Hey,

HP smart doesn't work, and I saw the Hewlett Packard option to fix my problem so I can use my HP printer. Spent hours to solve it, but no luck. The Hewlett driver is a lot better, but doesn't find my printer : HP LaserJet Pro MFP M26a.

I tried other softwares but none of them works.

Did you have the same issue by not finding your printer's software?

I hope the Apple Experts can help, its really weird that I don't find my printer's software on the list.

thanks in advance!

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.4

Posted on Aug 29, 2021 2:30 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 29, 2021 2:25 PM

Hi,

There is an HP Easy Admin tool for Mac that allows administrators to download drivers without a connected printer. If there is a problem with HP Easy Start or HP Smart, you may want to check whether HP Easy Admin would work (and locate a suitable driver for the HP LaserJet Pro MFP M26a).

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c06164609

Reset the Mac printing system to solve a problem - Apple Support

Add a printer on Mac - Apple Support

It is also interesting to note that an HP LaserJet Pro MFP m26a is a supported printer for HP Linux Imaging and Printing (HPLIP). See the list at https://developers.hp.com/hp-linux-imaging-and-printing/supported_devices/index. If nothing else works, you could perhaps carry out a few experiments with the printer connected to a USB port of an old PC, running an earlier version of the free Ubuntu (Linux) operating system. Ubuntu uses CUPS and understands Bonjour/mDNS. The local (USB) printer could be shared on a network by the Ubuntu computer.

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 29, 2021 2:25 PM in response to BertoldZahoran

Hi,

There is an HP Easy Admin tool for Mac that allows administrators to download drivers without a connected printer. If there is a problem with HP Easy Start or HP Smart, you may want to check whether HP Easy Admin would work (and locate a suitable driver for the HP LaserJet Pro MFP M26a).

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c06164609

It is also interesting to note that an HP LaserJet Pro MFP m26a is a supported printer for HP Linux Imaging and Printing (HPLIP). See the list at https://developers.hp.com/hp-linux-imaging-and-printing/supported_devices/index. If nothing else works, you could perhaps carry out a few experiments with the printer connected to a USB port of an old PC, running an earlier version of the free Ubuntu (Linux) operating system. Ubuntu uses CUPS and understands Bonjour/mDNS. The local (USB) printer could be shared on a network by the Ubuntu computer.

Sep 24, 2021 4:18 PM in response to Rufuscnm1959

Hi,

Have you tried resetting the printing system?

The HP OfficeJet 5200 All-in-One series appears to consist of several printers. Models between 5210 and 5272 are listed in About AirPrint - Apple Support, and can be used without additional drivers, provided the printer and the computer are connected to the same network (Wi-Fi router). Does your printer have a more specific 52xx number?

For an AirPrint-enabled printer, if all settings are OK, you may want to test the following power-cycling sequence: Power off the router, the printer, the computer, and all other devices/computers. Wait two to three minutes. Power on the router. Wait two to three minutes. Power on the printer. Wait a minute or two. Power on the computer. Finally, power on all other devices/computers.

Sep 24, 2021 3:47 PM in response to BertoldZahoran

So, ever since last update about 48 hours ago, my MacBook Pro, Mac OS Big Sur, version 11.6, doesn't recognize/cannot find my HP Officejet 5200 printer. I have restarted printer, reconnected it to home wifi network. I have turned off my MacBook, restarted it. Gone to system preferences>printers/scanners> Add printer + and when the window pops up - NO PRINTER shown. Done this now at least 4 times. So, since this is the definition of lunacy, I'm going to another source - the Apple Support Community! HELP!

RA Bode

Sep 25, 2021 6:57 AM in response to Rufuscnm1959

Hello again,

You're welcome! Bonjour helps the operating system discover AirPrint-printers (such as the HP OfficeJet 5258 All-in-One) on the network. The power-cycling updates network information. Glad to hear that it worked.

Xerox has an article with some AirPrint and Bonjour background information that perhaps could be of interest to you.

https://www.office.xerox.com/latest/XOGWP-18U.PDF

Jan

MacBook laptops doesn't find HP printer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.