You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMessage voice message only records static noise

iPhone X on 14.7.1

It worked fine so far, but now iMessage won't record anything but static noise when I try to send a voice message. Voice Memos app works just fine, this only happens in iMessage. Any solutions?

iPhone X

Posted on Aug 30, 2021 10:18 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 31, 2021 8:19 AM

Hello and welcome to the Apple Support Communities, rkr4201.

We understand that you hear static when attempting to send a voice message, so we'd like to see how we can help. If you haven't done so already, Restart your iPhone. Sometimes this simple step can resolve minor issues. Although this seems to only occur when using iMessage, removing any cases or screen protectors and making sure there's no dirt or debris in the opening may help. Learn more here: If the microphones on your iPhone aren't working. If needed, this article goes over the best way to clean your iPhone: Cleaning your iPhone.

If you need more help, reply with the answers to these questions:

• Does this happen with one contact or multiple?
  • Do you notice this when you're in a specific location?
  • Does the recipient say they hear static as well, or can they hear your voice clearly?

Cheers!

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 31, 2021 8:19 AM in response to rkr4201

Hello and welcome to the Apple Support Communities, rkr4201.

We understand that you hear static when attempting to send a voice message, so we'd like to see how we can help. If you haven't done so already, Restart your iPhone. Sometimes this simple step can resolve minor issues. Although this seems to only occur when using iMessage, removing any cases or screen protectors and making sure there's no dirt or debris in the opening may help. Learn more here: If the microphones on your iPhone aren't working. If needed, this article goes over the best way to clean your iPhone: Cleaning your iPhone.

If you need more help, reply with the answers to these questions:

• Does this happen with one contact or multiple?
  • Do you notice this when you're in a specific location?
  • Does the recipient say they hear static as well, or can they hear your voice clearly?

Cheers!

Aug 31, 2021 9:12 AM in response to MVegas21

Hi!

Yes, this only occurs when using iMessage. I tried restarting the phone, resetting to factory settings, and cleaning the microphone of course. I don’t use any screen protectors or cases either.

The problem remains with whichever contact I try.

It’s not location specific.

The recipient also hears a static noise and no voice.

Thanks!

iMessage voice message only records static noise

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.