You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro M1 will not save display resolution or layout when waking up from sleep

I connect my macbook pro to an external monitor (DELL). After setting the resolution and layout, upon waking up from sleep, the laptop is resetting to the default.

Is there something that needs to be reset. I never had this problem when it was an Intel chip. I've tried rebooting the machine. Nothing appears to work.

Posted on Aug 31, 2021 7:02 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 1, 2021 5:50 PM

Thank you for the reply kelson33!

Great job isolating the issue by trying another monitor and adapter. Since this only occurs with this specific external monitor and not other external monitors, see if there is an update for the Dell. For assistance with this, we recommend contacting Dell.

Cheers!

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 1, 2021 5:50 PM in response to kelson33

Thank you for the reply kelson33!

Great job isolating the issue by trying another monitor and adapter. Since this only occurs with this specific external monitor and not other external monitors, see if there is an update for the Dell. For assistance with this, we recommend contacting Dell.

Cheers!

Sep 1, 2021 1:10 PM in response to kelson33

Hey there kelson33,

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities. We understand that your external screen will not display the correct resolution when your Mac wakes up from sleep. We're happy to provide some assistance.

Check out this resource, specifically under the "Adjust the resolution" section:

If your external display isn't detected or appears blurry on your Mac

It that section it states "If the expected resolution doesn't appear for your display, check the specifications page to see what your Mac supports."

See if that helps. If not, do you have another external monitor you own or can borrow? This can help us isolate the issue.

Keep us posted.

Have a great day!

Sep 1, 2021 4:07 PM in response to Rob_H1

When I plug the macbook into Dell P3421N using the usb-c port, there are no issues with keeping the resolution or the display settings after the macbook wakes up from sleep. This problem appears to be occurring on an older DELL U3451W whereby i have to use HDMI cable to connect using Apple USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter. I have tried different adapter, but the results are the same. Upon waking up from sleep, the resolution or position or both is reset to the default.

Any other suggestion.

Thx

Kelson

Macbook Pro M1 will not save display resolution or layout when waking up from sleep

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.