You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Issues connecting MacBook Pro to external display

I have a mid-2012 13" MacBook Pro and a 29" VIOTEK GNV29CB Ultrawide Curved 29-Inch Monitor. According to the technical specifications under Graphics and Video Support, it should support up to 2560 by 1600 pixels on an external display. The external monitor has a 2560 by 1080p resolution; however, when I connect it to the MacBook via HDMI cable + Mini Displayport to HDMI Adapter, a 2" border appears on the left and right side of the screen. So far I've tried:

• Changing the display settings under System Preferences, but the 2560 by 1080p resolution is not an option
  • Installing SwitchResX to make a custom display resolution, but it's still not able to display on the entire monitor
  • Replacing the Belkin Mini Displayport Adapter with a 4K 60Hz Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Cable by iVanky, but as soon as I connect it the MacBook display turns black and I have to reboot the computer

Please advise on how I can get it to connect and display properly - thank you.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Sep 1, 2021 5:10 PM

Similar questions

4 replies

Sep 2, 2021 11:54 AM in response to SharxKL

Hello SharxKL,

Thanks for choosing the Apple Support Communities. If we understand correctly, you are seeing black bars on both sides of your display. We can understand why you'd reach out for a solution.

It sounds like you need to change your overscan settings.

Here is a resource that can help.

About overscan and underscan on your Mac, Apple TV, or other display

Cheers!

Sep 2, 2021 12:04 PM in response to SharxKL

if you have selected [√] Mirror displays, BOTH the built-in and the external are set to a 'compromise resolution so that they are identical. In some cases, the compromise resolution causes problems.

in this display, Mirror displays shows the two blue boxes nearly overlapping.

When unchecked, it would look more like this:

the two blue boxes are connected along an edge into a larger "extended desktop".

Issues connecting MacBook Pro to external display

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.