You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do i keep iTunes from moving files?

I have organized my music files in the music folder way different then where they originally go. I have deleted the Various Artist Folder multiple times after moving the music to a new folder I created. However it keeps moving the same albums back to a newly created (by iTunes I think) various artist folder. How do I keep that from happening? I Like the way my music is organized and I am tired of fixing the song location because songs won't play after they move around. I don't know how close my settings are to the default iTunes settings are because I messed with them in the past but have recently controlled my obsessive tendencies to test new the settings. Two other things to note. 1 I have done my best to remove duplicate copies of song, because of computer space, but they are outside of iTunes folder because I have been undecided between iTunes and Media Player. 2nd thing to note is I like to be able to play my iTunes through my phone when not a home.

Posted on Sep 2, 2021 5:52 AM

Similar questions

4 replies

Sep 3, 2021 8:08 AM in response to Brandon_J_321

I only want one copy of music on my computer altogether. So I take them out of the iTunes music folder and put them in the regular music folder. But I have organized the regular music folder in a different way than iTunes chooses to organize their music. I have a couple cd’s that are considered various artists that continue to go back to the various artist folders I keep deleting after moving it to a different folder that I wanted it. I don’t know what is making them reappear in a various Artist folder. I only play music on my computer or on my phone through CarPlay. But on my computer sometimes I use media player and sometimes I use iTunes hence the reason I was using the music folder instead of only the iTunes folder. The large majority of my music comes from CDs that I own download it onto the computer. In case that is relevant.

Sep 9, 2021 1:02 PM in response to Brandon_J_321

I want my songs available in iTunes all the time, but I don't want them in a folder that says iTunes in my file explorer. I have moved everything to suit my extremely bad OCD and it works fine in both iTunes and media player. But i keep getting on a couple of days later and find that files i had previously put in a different folder back in a folder i deleted. I don't know whats causing this to happen. I will move it back to where i want it but I keeps happening. It's always the same music. Is there a way to keep it from rearranging itself? I'm not talking about the inside of iTunes, but the computer system.

Sep 3, 2021 7:49 AM in response to fioletowaryba

Good Morning fioletowaryba,

We see that you're looking for help with managing and organizing your music on iTunes on a PC, and we'd be glad to see how we can help with this.

Just for clarification, are you moving the songs to iTunes and out of iTunes or are you leaving them there? You should be able to leave the songs within iTunes while also having another copy as you already have, so give that a try if you are moving in and out of iTunes.

With the music that is stored within iTunes, we'd recommend checking to make sure song information, including the artist, is updated and not left blank to prevent the music from going into a random artist playlist. For assistance with checking to make sure the information is updated correctly, let's take a look at the following resource:

Change song and CD information in iTunes on PC

In addition to this, are you seeing that the songs are still listed in the "Songs" portion of iTunes, or are they only listing in the playlist that is curated? If you're referring to the songs just randomly applying to a curated playlist, check out the following resource for assistance with using playlists as well as creating a new playlist if you'd like here:

Create, delete, and use playlists in iTunes on PC

We hope this is able to help.

Have a great day!

Sep 3, 2021 12:54 PM in response to fioletowaryba

fioletowaryba,

We understand that you're only looking to have one copy of songs on your computer in total, and add the songs to iTunes when you're ready to listen on iTunes only, is that correct?

If so, this may be why you're seeing a playlist appear with various artists as it is adding all of the songs that you just moved over to iTunes. Once you delete and remove the songs from iTunes, it no longer recognizes or saves a playlist that you may have created previously as the file is no longer there. If you're concerned with storage of having songs in a playlist as well as the iTunes library, the library consists of the same songs. With them being displayed in a playlist, this is just to group the songs there instead of creating multiple copies of the songs to be stored in different places. For information on playlists with iTunes, check out the following resource.

Intro to playlists in iTunes on PC

As for the songs downloaded from a CD, this can be synced with iTunes as well and doesn't prevent you from listening to the music if that is a concern of yours. You may need to update the artist, or title if it doesn't display to your liking, but they should still be able to be played and organized with a playlist that you set up and organize yourself. If you need assistance with changing the information for a song, review this resource:

Change song and CD information in iTunes on PC

If you feel that this information isn't helping with what you're looking to do, could you clarify in more detail for us? Also, let us know what the hesitation is between having songs stored within iTunes as well as the media player on your computer so we may be able to provide additional information to help with your concerns.

Cheers!

How do i keep iTunes from moving files?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.