You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Do I have to back up my old iMac before I can transfer data to my new iMac?

Posted on Sep 6, 2021 2:36 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 6, 2021 2:51 PM

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities.

Ideally, yes. You can then follow the steps here: Setup Assistant and Migration Assistant - Apple Community. If you don't have a backup drive, a great choice that Apple sells is the LaCie 2TB Rugged USB-C + USB 3.0 Portable Hard Drive - Apple.

Cheers,

Jack

3 replies

Sep 6, 2021 4:34 PM in response to SuzieQu

Do you have Time Machine setup and running? If yes then you already have a backup.

If you don't then you definitely should set it up. It recommended to get an external HD that 's 2 ½ to 3 times the size of the drive(s) you're backing up.

And for a desktop iMac get one that is self powered. This is an excellent choice: OWC Mercury Elite Pro 7200 RPM Storage - excellent choice for Time Machine usage, inexpensive and self powered.

If you don't have a backup strategy enabled it's like driving without use seatbelts…………you don't need them till you do and then it's too late.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.