You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lost Macbook, "Pending" Lock, Is Find My really turned on?

I lost my Macbook Pro last week. I have a few questions about the ability to find it:

1.) When I go to My Devices under my Apple ID on any of my apple products, my laptop shows up as listed. Does this automatically mean that Find My function is turned on my laptop (I do not remember turning it on)?

2.) If under my specific laptop device listed it says Find My is on, is there any glitch where this may be indicated even though Find My is really not on? (My wife tried turning find my off on her computer and then checked devices and it still said it was turned on so I think may be a glitch with Apple and not all that accurate of a function)

3.) Most importantly, my lock still says Pending and No location found so I cannot locate my laptop! Is this because the laptop is powered off? Or is it because Find My may not really be on?

4.) If presuming Find My is turned off, can someone have stolen the laptop and be using it actively currently with me not knowing AND with the Find My lock still saying pending? And if my home screen was locked with a password, how could they even get into the laptop?

Lots of questions and no answers on the web! Apple support was not sure either.

Thx for any help!

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Sep 9, 2021 3:41 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 9, 2021 6:48 AM

vinayagg1 wrote:

I lost my Macbook Pro last week. I have a few questions about the ability to find it:

1.) When I go to My Devices under my Apple ID on any of my apple products, my laptop shows up as listed. Does this automatically mean that Find My function is turned on my laptop (I do not remember turning it on)?

2.) If under my specific laptop device listed it says Find My is on, is there any glitch where this may be indicated even though Find My is really not on? (My wife tried turning find my off on her computer and then checked devices and it still said it was turned on so I think may be a glitch with Apple and not all that accurate of a function)

3.) Most importantly, my lock still says Pending and No location found so I cannot locate my laptop! Is this because the laptop is powered off? Or is it because Find My may not really be on?

4.) If presuming Find My is turned off, can someone have stolen the laptop and be using it actively currently with me not knowing AND with the Find My lock still saying pending? And if my home screen was locked with a password, how could they even get into the laptop?

Thx for any help!

Set up Find My on Mac - Apple Support

Add your Mac to Find My - Apple Support

If your Mac is lost or stolen

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204756

How do I unlock my Mac?

After you locate your Mac, you can unlock it with your passcode on iCloud.com. Make sure to use the passcode that you created when you locked it with Find My, not your device passcode.

Here's how to see the passcode that you used to lock your Mac:

1. Sign in to icloud.com/find. 

2. Select your Mac from the Devices menu. 

3. Select Unlock. After you follow the steps to verify your identity, you'll see the passcode that you need to unlock your Mac.

You can look up your passcode for a limited time. If you forget your passcode or can't verify your identity to see it, take your Mac to an Apple Authorized Service Provider along with your proof of purchase.

If your Mac is lost or stolen - Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 9, 2021 6:48 AM in response to vinayagg1

vinayagg1 wrote:

Thx for any help!

Set up Find My on Mac - Apple Support

Add your Mac to Find My - Apple Support

If your Mac is lost or stolen

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204756

How do I unlock my Mac?

After you locate your Mac, you can unlock it with your passcode on iCloud.com. Make sure to use the passcode that you created when you locked it with Find My, not your device passcode.

Here's how to see the passcode that you used to lock your Mac:

1. Sign in to icloud.com/find. 

2. Select your Mac from the Devices menu. 

3. Select Unlock. After you follow the steps to verify your identity, you'll see the passcode that you need to unlock your Mac.

You can look up your passcode for a limited time. If you forget your passcode or can't verify your identity to see it, take your Mac to an Apple Authorized Service Provider along with your proof of purchase.

If your Mac is lost or stolen - Apple Support

Lost Macbook, "Pending" Lock, Is Find My really turned on?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.