You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to export from FCP with correct text margins if they have been modified by a Motion rig

When creating a Motion 5 template for FCPX, it is possible to publish a text margin as an adjustable parameter, either directly or by using a rig. Visibly these both have the same effect when editing inside of FCP. However, when exporting only the non-rigged text margin has any effect:

Here is a link to the Motion title file: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1o1oknopCAphKgVbtK5lRxTgliNdDcFNO/view?usp=sharing

Does anyone know why this would be the case? Any insight would be much appreciated.

Mac mini, macOS 11.2

Posted on Sep 9, 2021 8:22 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 9, 2021 6:43 PM

Hi

I got the file and reproduced the issue. When the project is exported, FCP ignores the slider adjustments. Updating the slider according to Fox's instructions resolves the issue.

I am wondering though that the benefit is of publishing margin controls through to FCP. I am assuming the you want to use the slider to set a kind of a user-friendly range so that the text doesn't get bunched up easily for the user, but the issue here is that those margin controls are already active directly in FCP- you are rigging a parameter that is already a part of the FCP local functions- so setting a range like that will just conflict with the FCP text editor defaults which is why FCP ignores the changes and renders using the default local values (to the best of my knowledge)

The editor can access the margin controls directly on screen by clicking into the text. Your slider is in conflict with these local functions.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 9, 2021 6:43 PM in response to flimsyhat

Hi

I got the file and reproduced the issue. When the project is exported, FCP ignores the slider adjustments. Updating the slider according to Fox's instructions resolves the issue.

I am wondering though that the benefit is of publishing margin controls through to FCP. I am assuming the you want to use the slider to set a kind of a user-friendly range so that the text doesn't get bunched up easily for the user, but the issue here is that those margin controls are already active directly in FCP- you are rigging a parameter that is already a part of the FCP local functions- so setting a range like that will just conflict with the FCP text editor defaults which is why FCP ignores the changes and renders using the default local values (to the best of my knowledge)

The editor can access the margin controls directly on screen by clicking into the text. Your slider is in conflict with these local functions.

Sep 9, 2021 9:51 AM in response to flimsyhat

I'm not exactly sure what you're going for here and why you need the Rig widget, but if you notice, the unrigged Left Margin goes from -500 to 500. You have the Right Margin rigged for **0** to 500 and not -500 to 500.

Set the Rig Slider value to zero and change the Text.Right Margin value to -500.

You can change the Range Minimum to -500 as well, to match the values (but the Min/Max Range values don't really mean anything except how you want to represent the values in the Published Parameters "UI").

Hope this answers your question.

Sep 10, 2021 2:19 AM in response to rowie302

Thank you for the explanation. Your assumption is correct, I wanted to limit the range of the margins for a user, and also allow them to adjust left and right margins with a single slider (so that the margin box scales symmetrically around the center).

It makes some sense to me that FCP would ignore parameters that can be adjusted locally, but (as far as I can tell) these parameters are typically locked from being adjusted in FCP when part of a Motion title/generator/etc. For example, if I add text size to a rig widget, I can no longer adjust the text size using the slider inside the Text Inspector panel in FCP. It seems strange that margins would be exempt from this behavior (though I'm fairly new to using FCP/Motion, so still figuring out how everything works).

Sep 10, 2021 3:10 AM in response to flimsyhat

Hi

In a .moti template and a .motn generator, those paragraph parameters are accessed by clicking on the text directly in FCP. It's not made clear by apple, it's buried in the user manual.

Generally with text, because all those parameters, even 3D text are available in the host directly, putting a widget between the Motion parameter and the host parameter will create a conflict. There is not always good cooperation between Motion and FCP when there are common parameters like text. Another example if gradient publishing. You can publish the full gradient bar for shape layers but because FCP has gradient functions ....all the changes you make to the template gradient will be ignored when you render - if those changes add anything to what was publishing - add/remove color stoppers, change style linear/radial etc - its another case where FCP will not process changes to published parameters when rendering.

Text, generally, ...as you have seen, publishing the parameter directly is the right way. You can rig the size of text and paragraph margins internally for snapshots - FCP will not ignore those. But generally, putting a widget between the parameter and FCP and then publishing the widget will cause issues. I could be wrong about it, I'm just speaking from experience here.

For text size - what would be the benefit of rigging the size? You can group the text and rig the group scale instead, ..likewise for the text position - group and rig the group position - is the better way to go.

The sequence text behavior is the right tool if you want to rig parameters and then publish them to FCP at the same time. I recommend exploring the options you have there.

Consider that when you publish text, in the published parameter - the user can 'reset' - but in the FCP text inspector - the user can reset from there too. I recommend making sure your text position in the motion template are always at 0/0 and use the group to set layout, size, position etc. That way, your motion template text position and the fcp text position are both 0/0.

Unable to export from FCP with correct text margins if they have been modified by a Motion rig

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.