You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

📢 Newsroom Update

Apple introduces powerful new iPad mini built for Apple Intelligence. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I back up my iPad Air if I can't turn it on?

How do I back up my iPad if I can't turn it on?

iPad Pro 11-inch Wi-Fi

Posted on Sep 9, 2021 9:22 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 10, 2021 2:53 AM

Very simple - you cannot backup an iPad if you are unable to boot the device and unlock with your passcode. If you are unable to access the iPad, the opportunity to create a backup has been lost. A backup must be created prior to needing it for recovery purposes - not after.

iOS/iPadOS devices have an encrypted file-system - the encryption key being stored in the device security chip (known as the Secure Enclave). All data remains encrypted until the device is unlocked with the Passcode; the passcode unlocks the Secure Enclave and releases the encryption key to the operating system which decrypts your data.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 10, 2021 2:53 AM in response to Kambahwombat

Very simple - you cannot backup an iPad if you are unable to boot the device and unlock with your passcode. If you are unable to access the iPad, the opportunity to create a backup has been lost. A backup must be created prior to needing it for recovery purposes - not after.

iOS/iPadOS devices have an encrypted file-system - the encryption key being stored in the device security chip (known as the Secure Enclave). All data remains encrypted until the device is unlocked with the Passcode; the passcode unlocks the Secure Enclave and releases the encryption key to the operating system which decrypts your data.

Sep 9, 2021 9:27 PM in response to Kambahwombat

You'll likely be unable to back it up. However, if the device hasn't run out of power or restarted since your last backup to a computer, you may be able to backup. Connect your device and see if you can initiate a backup.

Same with iCloud. Plug it in and leave it overnight. If you've been backing up, it may do so again.

How do I back up my iPad Air if I can't turn it on?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.