You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it possible to listen to a song/audio file (MP3, etc) without it automatically being added to your Apple Music Library?

I have seen similar versions of this question asked, but I was hoping for a more recent answer.

Most of the answers I've seen still refer to iTunes, and a workaround using QuickTime.

So on my iMac I have an external HDD connected and I would like the ability to just click some of the older audio files I have on there, but not have those added to my Apple Music library, because I keep that nice and organized, and some of these old MP3s, are missing all the metadata that helps keep my Library organized. So I was hoping there was an easy setting Im just overlooking, to stop automatically adding a song I play outside of Apple Music to my library.

The only work around that I see does still work is the "Quick Look" option. But I was hoping the Music App itself had a built in setting to adjust this.

Thanks so much for any information!

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Sep 10, 2021 1:15 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 10, 2021 1:38 PM

Same answer for Music as for iTunes. Right-click the MP3 and choose Open With > QuickTime (or Open With > VLC, if you have VLC installed).

Similar questions

1 reply

Is it possible to listen to a song/audio file (MP3, etc) without it automatically being added to your Apple Music Library?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.