You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

📢 Newsroom Update

The new iPad mini is available today. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I use Apple 30W charging adapter for iPad Air 2?

My iPad Air 2 12W has been stopped working recently.

I'm currently using a 5W adapter which I got with iPhone XR, but it takes a whole night to charge the iPad.

I also have a 30W adapter which I got with M1 MacBook Air. Can I use that for iPad?

iPad Air 2, iPadOS 15

Posted on Sep 11, 2021 1:56 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 11, 2021 2:45 AM

Most models of iPad require a Power Adapter of at least 10-12W to reliably charge. A 5W iPhone Power Adapter, if it works at all, will be very slow to charge an iPad.

The 30W Power Adapter is fully compatible with your iPad Air2 - although your iPad will not benefit from the higher power output. Your Air2 will charge at its maximum supported charging rate of 12W (2.4A @5V).

Some models of iPad support USB PD (Power Delivery) Fast Charging - that can charge compatible models of iPad and iPhone at faster 18W charging rates (e.g., 2.0A @9V / 1.5A @9V). Sadly this feature is not supported by the Air2.

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 11, 2021 2:45 AM in response to Udaykrk

Most models of iPad require a Power Adapter of at least 10-12W to reliably charge. A 5W iPhone Power Adapter, if it works at all, will be very slow to charge an iPad.

The 30W Power Adapter is fully compatible with your iPad Air2 - although your iPad will not benefit from the higher power output. Your Air2 will charge at its maximum supported charging rate of 12W (2.4A @5V).

Some models of iPad support USB PD (Power Delivery) Fast Charging - that can charge compatible models of iPad and iPhone at faster 18W charging rates (e.g., 2.0A @9V / 1.5A @9V). Sadly this feature is not supported by the Air2.

Can I use Apple 30W charging adapter for iPad Air 2?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.