You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

USB Superdrive not working with MacBook Air and USB multi-port connectors

I have a usb c to thunderbolt multi-port adaptor connected to MacBook Air. when I plug the USB superdrive into the multi-port I get a warning message that "USB Accessory needs power "Connect Apple USB SuperDrive to a USB port on this Mac". and the drive will not work (there is obviously no USB port on the MacBook Air). The multi-port adaptor works for other usb devices no issue.

This did work when I first bought the adaptor, have not used for while and now have this issue.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Sep 11, 2021 8:31 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 11, 2021 9:26 PM

Hi,

You need to get self powered USB-C to USB-A adapter or self powered USB-A to USB-A Hub which connect to USB multi-port connector's USB-A port.

12 replies

Oct 19, 2021 12:38 PM in response to tbirdvet

VLC does not work with a 2020 MacBook Air 13" and an Apple USB-C to USB adapter, which I just bought. I am on Big Sur 11.6. This is EXTREMELY frustrating. I can't figure out what a "self powered USB-C to USB-A adapter" even IS. The only place it appears on the Apple website is in kai-k's post. I tried the drag-and-aroip approach with VLC - no luck at all. Besides, WHY would you recommend VLC knowing that it demands access to all your browsing history and private info?? Can anyone help?

USB Superdrive not working with MacBook Air and USB multi-port connectors

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.