You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Burn music

I just purchased two songs from iTunes and put them into my playlist. When I say burn it to a CD, it tells me I cannot burn it because it is Apple Music. Why can’t I burn songs that I purchased?

Posted on Sep 12, 2021 7:53 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 13, 2021 8:12 AM

You haven't purchased the songs. Instead, with Apple Music you are subscribed to a service, which gives you access to all the songs you want, but only while you are subscribed to that service. You cannot burn songs from Apple Music.

7 replies

Oct 6, 2021 10:20 AM in response to abetterblue

As previously stated, if you are subscribed to Apple Music you are not purchasing the music. Instead, your subscription gives you immediate access to a huge library of music held by Apple, but only while you are subscribed. As soon as you stop your subscription, you lose access to all that music.

In order for that service to work as advertised, Apple needs to ensure that your subscription is still active whenever you want to play those songs or albums, so that rules out burning their music to your CDs (or playing the music in Windows Media Player)*. Other similar services, such as Amazon's Music Unlimited work the same way.

I'm not sure what the current cost of your subscription is, but think about this as an example of the difference in the way buying or subscribing works:

1. paying a monthly subscription to Apple Music of £10 (or dollars, or whatever currency you use. It doesn't matter, this is an example)
      1. after the first payment of just £10, you get immediate access via Apple Music to vast library of music
      2. after twelve payments, totalling £120, you have access to that same vast library of music
      3. if you then cancel your subscription, you no longer have access to any of that music
    2. buying (purchasing) each album at a cost of £15 (or dollars, or whatever currency you use), which is what I often have to pay for an album
      1. after that first payment of £15, I have access to only that one album
      2. after purchasing twelve albums, at a cost of £180, I have access to those twelve albums only
      3. if I never buy another album, I still have those twelve albums, for the rest of my life

Even if an individual album is the same price as Apple Music's monthly subscription, the same principal applies. I still have the first album I purchased on CD in 1983. Several years later, I copied that into my iTunes Library, so I now have it on an iPod too. Since I also have the CD, I could, if I so wish, play the CD in my car.

* Edited by author after initial posting.

Oct 7, 2021 8:41 AM in response to the fiend

Thank you The Fiend.

That does seem to be how it is working, except I have made purchases. That part doesn't make any sense at all but there you go. When I purchased, I had to sign in again, and keep signing in for ever purchase past 15 minutes. (my settings) I know what you are saying is true, I know now those are the conditions of Apple Music. (but still, everything went through as a purchase)

When I come across songs I really want to own, I want to own them... to make CD's what ever. I want that freedom.

It profits me little only to listen to a song with ear buds on my phone, or computer.

I suppose if I could get a Bluetooth speaker and take it everywhere with me that would be an option, but getting one that's actually good is costly.

My car will only pair with my phone if I purchase OnStar monthly which is also costly.

So, my decision to make is, forego the free music for the freedom of purchase and burn, or keep limited use "free for a fee" music.

I may just cancel Apple music. I'd always have a hard copy of the music I love, come what may. I only purchase a couple songs a month, rarely a whole album.

Thank you so much for answering! Truly appreciate that!

abetterblue~

Oct 9, 2021 6:53 AM in response to the fiend

Hi the fiend,

I just checked my bank card. I have absolutely been charged. I have Apple receipts, the money taken out. I've been charged and paid.

Even music I bought last month. I've been with Apple Music for just over a year.

Yet, I can't make a cd of purchased music, I can't get them into WMP either.

Those are the facts.

Apple messed up somewhere.

I know what you are saying and I surely appreciate it, however what is happening with me is factual.

I will discontinue my Apple Music. If I hear something I like enough to buy it, I'll be able to put it in WMP and burn it.

Another thing, when I did burn through iTunes, it always sounded like it was half there, the music was horrible. That is why I put the music in WMP and burn it from there. It sounds like it should.

Even with all the evidence, I'm thinking you won't believe it, but those are the facts.

You've stuck with me though, trying to help me, and for that I'm grateful for you! Keep up the good work!

abetterblue

Oct 9, 2021 7:12 AM in response to abetterblue

abetterblue wrote:

I pay $10 a month as you do. It's a normal subscription.

You've misunderstood somehow. I do not subscribe to Apple Music or any other streaming service. I buy the music I like, after hearing it on radio (yes, that old-fashioned thing), Podcasts or any one of several other sources, all for the price of an occasional advertisement. In fact, I have been known to buy a piece of music after hearing it in an advert.

Burn music

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.