You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Setting up a new Mac

Using a Time Machine back up of my old MacBook Air, I successfully transferred my User Account (let's call it "X") to my new MacBook Air. QUESTION - Is it now possible to change the name of User Account "X" on my new MacBook Air? If so, how?

MacBook Air (2020 or later)

Posted on Sep 13, 2021 9:24 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 13, 2021 8:41 PM

See if this helps Change the name of your macOS user account and home folder - Apple Support

Please have a backup before trying this. I've seen people having some trouble when changing this.

I advise to create a second admin account before changing your main one. This might help you get in if anything goes wrong after changing your main account's name.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 13, 2021 8:41 PM in response to LonCagney

See if this helps Change the name of your macOS user account and home folder - Apple Support

Please have a backup before trying this. I've seen people having some trouble when changing this.

I advise to create a second admin account before changing your main one. This might help you get in if anything goes wrong after changing your main account's name.

Setting up a new Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.