You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Change iMessage Preview on Big Sur

Can I change the viewing preference for iMessage on Big Sur back to the normal look? I've cheked everywhere I could think of in settings, etc. Horrible UI/UX change imho. I just know I'll text the wrong person on the regular now, and I really don't like the bubble/photo things. Thanks in advance!

Posted on Sep 14, 2021 7:37 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 15, 2021 7:55 PM

Messages is a rewrite and the old iMessages is gone. It is meant to mimic the iPhone / iPad Messages. There is no option to change the message appearance like the old iMessages.

I've use the Pin feature to pin individuals and group conversations and that makes it easier to ensure you have the right message selected to avoid messaging the wrong people. I also have found, double-clicking an individual conversation or group conversation will open a new window which also makes it far less likely to message the wrong group or individual.

The highlight color is based on System Preferences -> General -> Accent Color pick a color that jumps out at you depending on Light / Dark mode and your personal preferences. This will show which conversation / individual is selected.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 15, 2021 7:55 PM in response to bayne_jenn

Messages is a rewrite and the old iMessages is gone. It is meant to mimic the iPhone / iPad Messages. There is no option to change the message appearance like the old iMessages.

I've use the Pin feature to pin individuals and group conversations and that makes it easier to ensure you have the right message selected to avoid messaging the wrong people. I also have found, double-clicking an individual conversation or group conversation will open a new window which also makes it far less likely to message the wrong group or individual.

The highlight color is based on System Preferences -> General -> Accent Color pick a color that jumps out at you depending on Light / Dark mode and your personal preferences. This will show which conversation / individual is selected.

Change iMessage Preview on Big Sur

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.