You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Updating an app asks me to sign in to iTunes and password is a constant loop

I know I am entering the correct password. Interestingly I saw this had occurred back in 2011 as I read the conversations on this board... they were just as frustrated then as I am now!

Any suggestions?

iPhone 11 Pro, iOS 14

Posted on Sep 15, 2021 2:44 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 16, 2021 2:17 PM

Hello misipi,

As you're having issues signing in to your Apple ID on the Apple ID management website, that could explain why you're being prompted to enter your Apple ID login details, along with explaining why you're unable to sign into the website. To confirm, what exactly happens when you try signing in to that website?

If it's saying your login details are incorrect, we recommend resetting your Apple ID password with these steps: If you forgot your Apple ID password

Please keep us posted on these details as the more we have, the better equipped we'll be to assist.

Have a good one!

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 16, 2021 2:17 PM in response to misipi

Hello misipi,

As you're having issues signing in to your Apple ID on the Apple ID management website, that could explain why you're being prompted to enter your Apple ID login details, along with explaining why you're unable to sign into the website. To confirm, what exactly happens when you try signing in to that website?

If it's saying your login details are incorrect, we recommend resetting your Apple ID password with these steps: If you forgot your Apple ID password

Please keep us posted on these details as the more we have, the better equipped we'll be to assist.

Have a good one!

Sep 16, 2021 1:25 PM in response to misipi

This is an issue that appears regularly on this forum but may not be as familiar to official Apple support since this is mostly a user-to-user forum. ;-) The solution is to not try to use the looping feature but to go directly to the place where you can enter payment information.

On a mobile device tap: Settings > [your name at the top] > Media & Purchases > View Account > Review Apple ID.

Alternatively this document explains how to 'Change, add, [review,] or remove Apple ID payment methods' on an Apple mobile device, a Mac, or a PC; click here --> https://support.apple.com/HT201266

More things to try in this 2018 post by Urquhart1244 marked Apple Recommended:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8434425?answerId=33542414022#33542414022

If you continue to have problems contact Official Apple Support - Select your region from the list and then your country from the pop-up window. If you do not see your country, see if there is an "other" listing for that region.

https://getsupport.apple.com/?caller=cups&PGF=PGF63005

*Payment methods that you can use with your Apple ID - https://support.apple.com/HT202631

Sep 16, 2021 12:16 PM in response to misipi

Hey there misipi,

We'd like to help get that loop to stop. Let's start with better understanding what's happening, along with ruling out some possible causes:

1. You mentioned it asks you repeatedly for it, but when did this first start?
  2. You also mentioned that you know you're entering the correct Apple ID password, but how do you know this? Have you tested signing in to the Apple ID management website? Here it is just in case: Manage your Apple ID
  3. Does this occur on only your iPhone, or does it occur on other devices you use with your Apple ID?
  4. How long between being prompted goes by between signing in for this prompt?

We look forward to hearing back from you about all of these details. Take care until then!

Sep 16, 2021 1:22 PM in response to bruno75

well, I was able to close out of everything and restart my phone and use facial recognition to get in and change the password. This shouldn't have been necessary since it recorded that I had changed my password on 4.21.2021 as I had written down.

When I read this email I decided to follow the link to Manage your Apple ID. When I got there it asked for my password and it wouldn't take it...

I am frustrated, again

Updating an app asks me to sign in to iTunes and password is a constant loop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.