You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2018 MacMini fan not running as often as it used to ?

Before I did some security update (don't remember exactly which one..:-() in 10.14, the fan would turn on often throughout the day. Now, it barely registers, the MacMini is sometimes extremely hot to the touch.

I installed Macs Fan Control and I'm seeing temps of almost 190f/90c on the CPU cores, with the fan spinning at 2600rpm (can go from 1700-4400).

When I run it at max speed, the temps go down to 125/50 after 5-10 minutes, but there's no way to trigger it automatically to a specific temp.

Any ideas ??

Posted on Sep 15, 2021 4:20 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 15, 2021 5:00 PM

Open the MacFanControl panel with the temp. read outs.

Look for the highest temp. read out. On my 2018 it is generally the CPU Diode.

Them go to the Sensor Base Control and select that temp sensor.

Now set the low setting for that sensor to about 150 and the max temp. setting to about 190 and click OK.

That should run the fan at default until the temp. goes above 150, then as the temp. increases over 150, the fan should slowly ramp up to help maintain a decent temp.

Sorry I’m away on my iPhone and unable to post any screen shots of my Mac FanControl setup for about another hour or so.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 15, 2021 5:00 PM in response to FlyingFader

Open the MacFanControl panel with the temp. read outs.

Look for the highest temp. read out. On my 2018 it is generally the CPU Diode.

Them go to the Sensor Base Control and select that temp sensor.

Now set the low setting for that sensor to about 150 and the max temp. setting to about 190 and click OK.

That should run the fan at default until the temp. goes above 150, then as the temp. increases over 150, the fan should slowly ramp up to help maintain a decent temp.

Sorry I’m away on my iPhone and unable to post any screen shots of my Mac FanControl setup for about another hour or so.

Sep 15, 2021 8:33 PM in response to den.thed

Sorry I'm using the CPU PECI on my 2018 Mac Mini, not CPU Diode. The CPU Diode is used on one or two of my earlier Mac's.

For the most part the fan runs at the default 1700rpm until I start an intense CPU process and then the temp. never goes much over 165/170 with the fan running at around 2800/3000rpm. Then as soon as the process finishes the fan shortly returns to the default speed.

FWIW I have been doing this with all of my iMac's and Mac Mini's for around 15 years now, and have never had any of them prematurely fail from over heating.

2018 MacMini fan not running as often as it used to ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.