You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bar graph X axis question

How do I fix the x-axis to be in date order? It goes from 6/15-7/15 to 8/15-9/15. 7/15-8/15 is farther to the right. Thank you. Suzanne

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 11.6

Posted on Sep 15, 2021 9:41 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 16, 2021 5:34 AM

Not sure what went wrong there. Here's what I get:

I first selected all the cells in the table, and then went in the menu and chose Insert > Chart > 2D Column.

SG

SG

8 replies

Sep 16, 2021 10:41 AM in response to luckystarr

It looks like all your data is on the chart but the chart is not wide enough to show all the labels. If you widen the chart you should see 7/15-8-15, 9/15-10/15, and 11/15-12/15 appear in their proper places. What I am puzzled by is how you have an additional set of labels to the right side of your chart. I can recreate it but it takes some work to do it.

If this problem was caused by how data was added to the chart, when using Edit Data References to add data it is best to include new data by dragging on the little circle in the lower right of the selection box vs clicking one at a time on the new cells to be added. I don't know what you might have done to add additional labels.

For a table that has been extensively formatted and you don't want to start over, you can fix it in a few steps. It takes one step per series plus one more for the X axis labels. Usually it is just easier to start over.

Sep 16, 2021 3:18 PM in response to SGIII

Recreating the chart is by far the simplest way to fix it. I thought if the OP knew what went wrong they could avoid doing it again. Sometimes it helps to know what not to do. Plus, I am perplexed. But whatever, it is not all that important and it does complicate things. If the mistake is easy to do, it will show up again some day.

Bar graph X axis question

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.