You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Automatic Catalina upgrade fails to complete its task, over and over

My 13" mid-2012 MBP runs on Catalina 10.15.7, its HD has plenty of space (250 GB), w/ no failures (checked with Disk Utility). For the last 4 weeks, a Catalina upgrade attempts to get installed automatically but failing to complete the task. After restart, the computer's screen looks as if it returned to some point in the past. Then the upgrading process starts again in a vice circle. In addition, each time this happens the laptop became too slow, taking considerable time to open any app. I am a layman in computer matters and seek for your kind help to explain in simple ways what I could do to overcome this problem.

If my computer is not compatible with this particular upgrade, I wonder whether there is a means to stop the automatic upgrading since my laptop capacity must be at its limit. A friend of mine told me to get back to Mojave or High Sierra and stay with that version. I could do that but assume I will again run into the automatic installation problem to end with Catalina and get stuck.

Thanks in advance for your valuable help

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Sep 17, 2021 12:22 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 17, 2021 5:22 PM

When you run First Aid click "Show Details" and manually scroll back through the report to see if there are any unfixed errors are listed. Unfortunately there can be catastrophic file system issues even if First Aid reports everything as "Ok".

Try installing the updates while booted into Safe Mode. If this works, then you have some third party software installed which is interfering with the normal operation of macOS. Typically this will be caused by anti-virus apps, cleaning apps, and third party apps. You should uninstall these types of apps by following the developer's instructions since these types are not needed on a Mac and usually causes more problems than they solve plus they impact system performance.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 17, 2021 5:22 PM in response to Lucar21

When you run First Aid click "Show Details" and manually scroll back through the report to see if there are any unfixed errors are listed. Unfortunately there can be catastrophic file system issues even if First Aid reports everything as "Ok".

Try installing the updates while booted into Safe Mode. If this works, then you have some third party software installed which is interfering with the normal operation of macOS. Typically this will be caused by anti-virus apps, cleaning apps, and third party apps. You should uninstall these types of apps by following the developer's instructions since these types are not needed on a Mac and usually causes more problems than they solve plus they impact system performance.

Sep 18, 2021 1:05 PM in response to Lucar21

Lucar21 wrote:

1. I uninstalled ClenMyMac from within the app as you kindly suggested and check for third-party apps. I have a few ones like, adobe, Skype, etc., deemed as Identified Developer, which I assume are allowed by Apple. I did not find any Unidentified Developer in System Information.

Adobe products are fine (except for Flash). However, just because an app is from an "Identified Developer" does not mean the app is without risks or problems. There are a lot of apps that Apple allows to be installed from third party developers, but you must still do your own research to ensure those apps are safe to use. CMM is considered by most contributors here to almost be a form of malware. I'm not a macOS software expert, but if you run EtreCheck and post the report here using the "Additonal Text" icon so the other more knowledgeable contributors can inspect the report to see if you have any apps installed that may interfere with the normal operation of macOS.

2. I started on safe mode and allow automatic installation of the upgrade which again failed to complete.
3. Still within Safe Mode I run Disk Utility on Macintosh HD (disk1s5) and Macintosh and this is a copy of the Show Details report. It appears that something is happening with the HD but I cannot understand the problem. Please help.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Running First Aid on “Macintosh HD” (disk1s5)+
Checking snapshot 1 of 1 (com.apple.TimeMachine.2021-09-18-041203.local)
error: (oid 0xaf7d9) apfs_extentref: btn: dev_read_finish(718809, 1): Input/output error
Snapshot is invalid.
The volume /dev/rdisk1s5 could not be verified completely.

Try booting into Internet Recovery Mode using Command + Option + R to run First Aid again to see if the file system can be repaired. If it is repaired, then try running First Aid again while booted normally into macOS to verify that the error has indeed been fixed by manually checking the report again both times.

Since the issue is with one of the APFS snapshots you can try to delete that snapshot to see if it resolves your problems. Here is an article with instructions:

https://derflounder.wordpress.com/2018/04/07/reclaiming-drive-space-by-thinning-apple-file-system-snapshot-backups/

Otherwise you will need to erase the whole physical drive and restore from a backup or clone. To erase the whole physical drive will destroy all data on the drive that is not backed up. To be able to see the physical drive you must click "View" within Disk Utility and select "Show All Devices" so that the physical drive appears on the left pane of Disk Utility. The internal physical drive should be the top most item listed under "Internal" and is usually identified by the make & model of the drive such as something like "Apple SSD....".

Sep 18, 2021 7:05 AM in response to HWTech

Many thanks to HWTech for the valuable suggestions.

In following the suggested actions:

1. I uninstalled ClenMyMac from within the app as you kindly suggested and check for third-party apps. I have a few ones like, adobe, Skype, etc., deemed as Identified Developer, which I assume are allowed by Apple. I did not find any Unidentified Developer in System Information.

2. I started on safe mode and allow automatic installation of the upgrade which again failed to complete.

3. Still within Safe Mode I run Disk Utility on Macintosh HD (disk1s5) and Macintosh and this is a copy of the Show Details report. It appears that something is happening with the HD but I cannot understand the problem. Please help.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Running First Aid on “Macintosh HD” (disk1s5)+

Verifying the startup volume will cause this computer to stop responding.

Verifying file system.

Volume could not be unmounted.

Using live mode.

Performing fsck_apfs -n -l -x /dev/rdisk1s5

Checking the container superblock.

Checking the EFI jumpstart record.

Checking the space manager.

Checking the space manager free queue trees.

Checking the object map.

Checking volume.

Checking the APFS volume superblock.

The volume Macintosh HD was formatted by diskmanagementd (1412.11.7) and last modified by apfs_kext (1412.141.2).

Checking the object map.

Checking the snapshot metadata tree.

Checking the snapshot metadata.

error: (oid 0xaf7d9) apfs_extentref: btn: dev_read_finish(718809, 1): Input/output error

Snapshot is invalid.

The volume /dev/rdisk1s5 could not be verified completely.

File system check exit code is 0.

Restoring the original state found as mounted.

Operation successful.

----------------------------------------------------

Running First Aid on “Macintosh HD - Data” (disk1s1)

Verifying the startup volume will cause this computer to stop responding.

Verifying file system.

Volume could not be unmounted.

Using live mode.

Performing fsck_apfs -n -l -x /dev/rdisk1s1

Checking the container superblock.

Checking the EFI jumpstart record.

Checking the space manager.

Checking the space manager free queue trees.

Checking the object map.

Checking volume.

Checking the APFS volume superblock.

The volume Macintosh HD - Data was formatted by hfs_convert (945.200.129) and last modified by apfs_kext (1412.141.2).

Checking the object map.

Checking the snapshot metadata tree.

Checking the snapshot metadata.

error: (oid 0xaf7ca) apfs_extentref: btn: dev_read_finish(718794, 1): Input/output error

Snapshot is invalid.

The volume /dev/rdisk1s1 could not be verified completely.

File system check exit code is 0.

Restoring the original state found as mounted.

Operation successful.

Automatic Catalina upgrade fails to complete its task, over and over

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.