You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Do you have to have an iPhone to make calls from an iPad

Do you have to have an iPhone to make calls from an iPad? My sons iPad has cellular and WiFi and has a phone number assigned to it from Verizon but he can’t make FaceTime audio calls, he can only Face Time.

iPad, iPadOS 13

Posted on Sep 18, 2021 9:21 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 18, 2021 9:39 AM

Hi. Yes you do need an iPhone to make calls. As long as you have an active cellular plan, you can get on the internet without using wifi.

According to https://support.apple.com/guide/ipad/make-and-receive-phone-calls-ipadf97892b2/ipados;

"You can make and receive calls on your iPad by using Wi-Fi Calling to relay phone calls through your iPhone (iOS 9 or later required).

Important: Wi-Fi + Cellular models do not support cellular phone service—they support cellular data transmission only. To make phone calls on any iPad model, you need to use Wi-Fi Calling and an iPhone."

I hope this helps!

One Apple User To Another

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 18, 2021 9:39 AM in response to lorrina16

Hi. Yes you do need an iPhone to make calls. As long as you have an active cellular plan, you can get on the internet without using wifi.

According to https://support.apple.com/guide/ipad/make-and-receive-phone-calls-ipadf97892b2/ipados;

"You can make and receive calls on your iPad by using Wi-Fi Calling to relay phone calls through your iPhone (iOS 9 or later required).

Important: Wi-Fi + Cellular models do not support cellular phone service—they support cellular data transmission only. To make phone calls on any iPad model, you need to use Wi-Fi Calling and an iPhone."

I hope this helps!

One Apple User To Another

Do you have to have an iPhone to make calls from an iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.