You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't upgrade Office 365 from personal to family??

I need to be able to upgrade my microsoft office 365 from personal to family, but only option is to cancel and then i have to wait for the subscription to run out before i can update. why can't i upgrade?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Sep 19, 2021 8:51 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 19, 2021 9:09 AM

Ah, you bought it through the App Store rather than directly from MS. Then I believe you're stuck until the App Store subscription runs out. Though you may be able to cancel or change it:

Manage App Store purchases, subscriptions, settings, and restrictions on iPad - Apple Support

5 replies

Sep 19, 2021 9:47 AM in response to CoachTrey

The bigger issue IMO is apple doesn't offer the ability to upgrade.

That's partly due to how the App Store works. One of the rules is a vendor can't offer upgrade pricing on an app to a newer or different version. The only way to get an improved version is to offer it as an entirely new app the user has to purchase. The only thing a vendor can do with an app you already have is to add whatever they want to it, but at no extra cost to you.

That's kind of splitting hairs with 365 since the apps are identical between the individual and regular plans. The only difference being able to install it on one computer vs. up to six. But the cost is different, so the App Store rules make it a completely separate purchase.

Can't upgrade Office 365 from personal to family??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.