You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Touch ID icon is no longer visible in system preferences. How do I reset Touch ID?

How do I resetup Touch ID for iMac after letting my chid play on computer? The touch id icon is no longer visible in system preferences

Thanks

ShawnBr

Posted on Sep 20, 2021 5:57 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 21, 2021 10:25 AM

I have no idea what your child did when playing with the computer. The only solution I can think of is they may have hidden the system preference. Please try:

How to Hide Preference Pane Icons in Mac OS X

1. Open System Preferences using your favorite method (Apple menu, Spotlight, Dock, etc).
  2. From the menu bar, go to the “View” menu and click on “Customize…”
  3. Now, you should see checkmarks next to each Preference Pane icon; simply uncheck the ones that you want to be hidden.
  4. Click on “Done” at the top left corner of...

If that does not solve the problem then I would recommend you call AppleCare. If you are in the USA that number is (800) 273-2275 and outside the USA please use AppleCare contact Information to find the number for your area.

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 21, 2021 10:25 AM in response to ShawnBr

I have no idea what your child did when playing with the computer. The only solution I can think of is they may have hidden the system preference. Please try:

How to Hide Preference Pane Icons in Mac OS X

1. Open System Preferences using your favorite method (Apple menu, Spotlight, Dock, etc).
  2. From the menu bar, go to the “View” menu and click on “Customize…”
  3. Now, you should see checkmarks next to each Preference Pane icon; simply uncheck the ones that you want to be hidden.
  4. Click on “Done” at the top left corner of...

If that does not solve the problem then I would recommend you call AppleCare. If you are in the USA that number is (800) 273-2275 and outside the USA please use AppleCare contact Information to find the number for your area.

My Touch ID icon is no longer visible in system preferences. How do I reset Touch ID?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.