You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to change Apple ID?

I have an Apple ID that has the following naming format: myName.mySurname@icloud.com

Recently, I've officially changed my surname to another one. So, I'd like to change my Apple ID to be like this: myName.myNewSurname@icloud.com

Unfortunately, I didn't find a way to do it. I've tried to add the new desired iCloud email to a contactable list, but when I try to set it as an Apple ID I get this error:

What should I do to get another Apple ID name?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.0

Posted on Sep 20, 2021 7:51 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 21, 2021 7:06 AM

From what you post it appears you cannot add an iCloud alias as your Apple ID, you can only use the iCloud email address that is the basis for your iCloud mail account which is the old name. If you do not want that as your Apple ID then you need to set up an external email account or you would have to create a new Apple Account.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 21, 2021 7:06 AM in response to EugenTarasenko

From what you post it appears you cannot add an iCloud alias as your Apple ID, you can only use the iCloud email address that is the basis for your iCloud mail account which is the old name. If you do not want that as your Apple ID then you need to set up an external email account or you would have to create a new Apple Account.

Sep 20, 2021 8:02 AM in response to EugenTarasenko

Please click on the links and read the documents -->

Change your Apple ID - https://support.apple.com/HT202667 - "Follow these steps to change the email address that you use as your Apple ID."

"After you change your Apple ID email address or password, you might need to update your sign-in information with any Apple services you're using" Click on this link to read "What to do after [or before] you change your Apple ID email address or password" --> https://support.apple.com/HT204071

- You may wish to disable Settings > Find My before changing your information, change the information, then reactivate it with the new information.

There's special instructions if you want to change your Apple ID to an @icloud.com address.

How to change Apple ID?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.