You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Background pictures are in the wrong format

Hey hey,

so I have an extra folder for the pictures i use as backgrounds for my mac and they change every 5 minutes.

The problem is that they don‘t keep their format if I edit them. So for example if I turn or crop a picture, it will not appear turned or cropped when used as background.

Thank you in advance :)

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.0

Posted on Sep 20, 2021 10:22 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 20, 2021 7:07 PM

Hi myram18,

Welcome to the Apple Community,

where some of us do our best to help each other troubleshoot.

Wondering whether these are copyrighted, or "stock" pictures, or your own original pictures.

And also, which editing software you are using for editing these backgrounds.

Eg: Copyrighted photos may be watermarked, or unalterable, so people respect the copyright.)

It may help to export the turned and cropped picturess with a different name than the original,

before adding the updated photo back in to the backgrounds folder.

(You might want to move the originals to a different folder, if you do not want them to display.)

Hope this is helpful to you :-)

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 20, 2021 7:07 PM in response to myram18

Hi myram18,

Welcome to the Apple Community,

where some of us do our best to help each other troubleshoot.

Wondering whether these are copyrighted, or "stock" pictures, or your own original pictures.

And also, which editing software you are using for editing these backgrounds.

Eg: Copyrighted photos may be watermarked, or unalterable, so people respect the copyright.)

It may help to export the turned and cropped picturess with a different name than the original,

before adding the updated photo back in to the backgrounds folder.

(You might want to move the originals to a different folder, if you do not want them to display.)

Hope this is helpful to you :-)

Sep 20, 2021 10:44 PM in response to myram18

This is unfortunately a current bug, and has mentioned here in several posts. I have had the same problem since I upgraded my Macs to macOS 11 Big Sur. Currently Photos does not seem to create new previews for the Media Browser after adding adjustments to a photo, cropping it, or editing it in an external editor, but is using the unmodified original instead. It is the same for the Screensaver as for the Desktop backgrounds.

Please send feedback to Apple that this embarrassing bug needs fixing - perhaps the final release of macOS 12 Monterey will fix it. It is no joy, to see only the unmodified photos, upside down, or uncropped, or without the enhancements, after all the hard work to edit them. The feedback form is here: Feedback - Photos - Apple

As a work-around, while waiting, export the photos for the screensaver or Desktop to a folder in the Finder and and use this folder as the screensaver or background source, as recommended by brbo. Or reimport the edited versions to an album in Photos to be used with the screensaver. Add a keyword "temporary" to the reimported, edited versions, so you can easily find and remove the duplicates, when they are no longer necessary, after the bug has been fixed.

Mac Background pictures are in the wrong format

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.