You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Password rejected when updating apps

When I try to update some apps, I am asked to sign into the iTunes Store and put in my Apple ID password. When I input the correct password, it tells me verification failed. I can reset my password and put in the new password, and it still tells me it’s wrong. Any advice?

iPhone SE, iOS 14

Posted on Sep 23, 2021 6:19 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 24, 2021 10:03 AM

Hello Ineedhelppleasex2,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities. Based on your post, you can't update some apps on your device. We'll do our best to assist.

First, we'd confirm you can use the Apple ID website to sign in and verify that your credentials are correct: Manage your Apple ID

If so, this might not be related to your specific Apple ID. Has this device been used in the past? (Meaning, purchased second hand?) If that's the case, these apps may be associated with another Apple ID.

Do you have a second Apple ID? If so, that could also mean these apps are associated to that Apple ID.

To check if you've purchased these apps in the past, see your purchase history: See your purchase history for the App Store, iTunes Store, and more

If these are free apps, consider deleting the apps and purchasing them again in the App Store under your Apple ID. Then sign in to those app services again, if needed.

In case they aren't free to purchase, then you would have to restore your device to factory settings and set it up new again. Then purchase these apps under the correct (your) Apple ID.

Note: This would require you to restore/erase the device. Which means, you'll lose all data and need to start fresh (unless you sign in to iCloud to restore what details you can. Like Notes, Contacts, Photos, etc.).

If for any reason it's associated with someone else's Apple ID, then it also may be Activation Locked. See: How to remove Activation Lock The previous owner would need to remove the device from their account.

Hoping this helps out, take care!

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 24, 2021 10:03 AM in response to Ineedhelppleasex2

Hello Ineedhelppleasex2,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities. Based on your post, you can't update some apps on your device. We'll do our best to assist.

First, we'd confirm you can use the Apple ID website to sign in and verify that your credentials are correct: Manage your Apple ID

If so, this might not be related to your specific Apple ID. Has this device been used in the past? (Meaning, purchased second hand?) If that's the case, these apps may be associated with another Apple ID.

Do you have a second Apple ID? If so, that could also mean these apps are associated to that Apple ID.

To check if you've purchased these apps in the past, see your purchase history: See your purchase history for the App Store, iTunes Store, and more

If these are free apps, consider deleting the apps and purchasing them again in the App Store under your Apple ID. Then sign in to those app services again, if needed.

In case they aren't free to purchase, then you would have to restore your device to factory settings and set it up new again. Then purchase these apps under the correct (your) Apple ID.

Note: This would require you to restore/erase the device. Which means, you'll lose all data and need to start fresh (unless you sign in to iCloud to restore what details you can. Like Notes, Contacts, Photos, etc.).

If for any reason it's associated with someone else's Apple ID, then it also may be Activation Locked. See: How to remove Activation Lock The previous owner would need to remove the device from their account.

Hoping this helps out, take care!

Password rejected when updating apps

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.