You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

USB C to Thunderbolt 2 cable or adapter

I want to connect a Late 2014 iMac Thunderbolt port to a SSD drive with a USB C port. Is there a cable or can I use the Apple USB C to Thunderbolt 2 adapter plus a Thunderbolt to Thunderbolt cable?

Posted on Sep 23, 2021 9:09 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 28, 2021 4:58 PM

I have the same issue. I'm not sure I agree with your recommendation. Based on Apple's own site:

This adapter is bidirectional, which means you can use it to connect Thunderbolt 3 devices to a Mac that has a Thunderbolt or Thunderbolt 2 port. In that case, the Mac must be using macOS Sierra or later, and the device using Thunderbolt 3 must provide its own power.

I just purchased a LaCie HDD with USB-C (Thunderbolt 3) connection and no external power. Based on the above from Apple, there is no power coming from my Thunderbolt 2 port (MacBook Pro 2013). So there is nothing to power the HDD.

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 28, 2021 4:58 PM in response to rkaufmann87

I have the same issue. I'm not sure I agree with your recommendation. Based on Apple's own site:

This adapter is bidirectional, which means you can use it to connect Thunderbolt 3 devices to a Mac that has a Thunderbolt or Thunderbolt 2 port. In that case, the Mac must be using macOS Sierra or later, and the device using Thunderbolt 3 must provide its own power.

I just purchased a LaCie HDD with USB-C (Thunderbolt 3) connection and no external power. Based on the above from Apple, there is no power coming from my Thunderbolt 2 port (MacBook Pro 2013). So there is nothing to power the HDD.

USB C to Thunderbolt 2 cable or adapter

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.