You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problems with deleting files from Time Machine backup

Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere but I can't readily find the answer. I want to delete one large file and some smaller ones that Time Machine has backed up on my iMac. But for some reason, Time Machine won't let me do this. When I enter Time Machine and navigate to the point in time where I want to delete these files, there is no gear icon which allows me to choose "Delete backup". Nor can I find any other way of deleting these files. When I look inside the external drive I use for Time Machine backup, I no longer see the Backups.backups folder. Instead I get a heading that reads "Backups of Max's iMac" and then three folders underneath that which read 2021-09-25-[six figure number]. Maybe I've screwed something up when overhauling my external drive yesterday (ie deleting lots of files in the Backups.backups folder to make room for new files) but I'v done this many times before without any problems. All and any help would be welcome.

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Sep 25, 2021 5:27 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 25, 2021 5:31 AM

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities.

You cannot delete files from your Time Machine backup. If you have, chances are something is now corrupted in your Time Machine backup system, and you'll need to erase your backup drive and start over.

Jack

Similar questions

3 replies

Problems with deleting files from Time Machine backup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.