You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Slow motion video changing speed

I have an iPhone 12 Pro Max, iOS 15.0.

I recorded some video on the slo-mo setting. On playback, it switched from slo-mo to normal speed by itself. Why does it do this?

Also, what is the white circle on the screen just to the right of the record start/stop button?

iPhone 12 Pro Max

Posted on Sep 26, 2021 2:21 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 27, 2021 12:44 PM

You're correct, I cannot answer that. I was just aware that the length of the slo-mo is adjustable. I may have really used incorrect terms when I said that it isn't all recorded in slo-mo, especially since you can adjust the length. I guess the best thing to say is that without editing where the slo-mo appears, a portion of the video plays at regular speed. I'm guessing that the amount of slo-mo you see without editing may be based on the content? such as how much motion, etc.? I don't really know. I would say that is a question to ask Apple.

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 27, 2021 12:44 PM in response to jla930

You're correct, I cannot answer that. I was just aware that the length of the slo-mo is adjustable. I may have really used incorrect terms when I said that it isn't all recorded in slo-mo, especially since you can adjust the length. I guess the best thing to say is that without editing where the slo-mo appears, a portion of the video plays at regular speed. I'm guessing that the amount of slo-mo you see without editing may be based on the content? such as how much motion, etc.? I don't really know. I would say that is a question to ask Apple.

Sep 26, 2021 2:40 PM in response to jla930

Not exactly sure why the speed may have changed. Have you looked in Edit, to see where the video is supposed to change to slo-mo and where to stop? When you record a slo-mo video, the entire thing is not shot and played in slo-mo. When you go to edit the video, you can see markings where the slo-mo starts and stops.

As far as the white circle, I'm guessing you can see 2 arrow heads around the circle. If so, this is the ability to change from the rear camera to the front camera.

Sep 26, 2021 4:31 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

ChrisJ4203, you’re saying that by default, the entire video is not slo-mo when you choose the slo-mo option. Not that you can answer this, but why not? If this is the case, I have to wonder why Apple arbitrarily decides what to put in slo-mo and what to put in regular speed. I do see the option in edit mode to change it. But I would think if I choose slo-mo, the whole thing would be in slo-mo, THEN if I want part of it in regular speed, THEN I go into edit mode. I want to decide, not let Apple decide.

The white circle isn’t the toggle for front and rear camera. That’s something else. The white circle appears after pressing the record button. It appears to be a pressable button of some sort.

***I just found out the purpose of the white button: it captures a still of the video at the point in the video you’re at when you press it.***

Slow motion video changing speed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.