You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Difficulty adding second iCloud E-mail account to iOS Mail on iPhone

Yesterday I wiped out my iPhone and started over, and now I am having difficulty adding back one E-mail account to cleanly restored iPhone.

Before wiping out the iPhone I had two iCloud E-mail accounts in the iOS Mail app. I have been able to add all of my email accounts back to the newly restored iPhone, except for my second iCloud E-mail account. Here is what I have tried:

1. When I Go to "Settings" and then "Mail" and try to add my second iCloud email account to iOS Mail, I select "Add Account", then select "iCloud", enter the second iCloud E-mail address and the password, select "Next", and I get a two step verification code on my other devices that I enter on the iPhone. I then get a message that Apple is verifying the account, which stops, and I remain stuck on the screen that has my E-mail address and the password, as well as "Next" and "Cancel". If I select "Next" again it goes through the "Verifying" step, stops, and I am in the same place as before.

1. I also have tried to add the second iCloud account manually using settings from https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202304, but when I try to send or receive Email from the account that is created, the account in iOS Mail is non-functional.

What do I need to do in order to add back my second iCloud E-mail account to the iPhone?

Thank you for your help.

iPhone 8 Plus, 15

Posted on Sep 27, 2021 8:55 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 27, 2021 9:18 PM

Is it icloud.com, me.com, mac.com, or any third-party email account? icloud.com associated with an Apple ID uses the same password as the Apple ID itself.

Note: If you set up iCloud using an Apple ID that ends with @mac.com or @me.com, you do not need to set up an @icloud.com email address to use iCloud Mail. You already have an equivalent address that ends with @icloud.com.

To create an email alias, see Use email aliases on iCloud.com.

After you set up your @icloud.com email address, you can use it to sign in to iCloud.com and your devices in addition to your Apple ID.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 27, 2021 9:18 PM in response to over-repairs computers

Is it icloud.com, me.com, mac.com, or any third-party email account? icloud.com associated with an Apple ID uses the same password as the Apple ID itself.

Note: If you set up iCloud using an Apple ID that ends with @mac.com or @me.com, you do not need to set up an @icloud.com email address to use iCloud Mail. You already have an equivalent address that ends with @icloud.com.

To create an email alias, see Use email aliases on iCloud.com.

After you set up your @icloud.com email address, you can use it to sign in to iCloud.com and your devices in addition to your Apple ID.

Oct 1, 2021 12:32 PM in response to over-repairs computers

I was facing the same problem. But after talking for some time with Apple Support we finally found the solution. Last week Apple updated it's terms for iCloud and iCloud+. You have to accept these terms for every iCloud-account separately. The only way to do this is to sign in with every other iCloud-account on a iPhone or iPad as the primary iCloud account. Then you will be asked to accept the new terms. After that you can log out and you will be able to add a second mail account using your other iCloud accounts.

Sep 28, 2021 10:03 AM in response to over-repairs computers

Apple has never provided an adequate solution for people who ended up with multiple iCloud accounts due to the fact that Apple didn't allow the use of Apple email address; e.g. *@mac.com to set up an iCloud account when iCloud was first available. They've left their most loyal customers, those who paid a yearly fee for Apple email prior to iCloud, in the lurch. And Apple seems to have completely broken support for multiple iCloud accounts with the latest iCloud updates.

I'm having problems similar to that reported by "over-repairs computers".

• It's impossible to add a second iCloud account to Mail on my new iPad. I end up in the same "verifying" loop described, although I received a 2FA code the first time I entered the password.
  • On an iPhone where the account was already setup, since upgrading to iOS 15, I get an error in Mail saying, "no password provided," but when I click "details" it goes to the Mail account page and shows it already logged in.

I have had multiple discussions over the years with Apple Support about this issue, which each iCloud update seems to make worse. Their response has been a non-solution; either lose all the apps and media I've purchased over ten years, or delete my primary email account which I've used for nearly fifteen years. 🤬

Difficulty adding second iCloud E-mail account to iOS Mail on iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.