You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

📢 Newsroom Update

The new iPad mini is available today. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bringing a dead iPad back to life!

I hope this post helps someone.

My mother in laws 3 year old iPad recently stopped working. It would not charge. All you could see was the battery symbol with a thin red line ( showing empty). I left it on charge all night and nothing changed. I repeatedly tried the hard reset option but nothing happened.

She decided to buy a new one but the old one had not been backed up! Lots of data on there that she didn’t want to lose.

I eventually came across this remedy that worked. I plugged in the charger cable and put the iPad on a hot water bottle. After a couple of minutes the iPad booted up and I was able to back it up.

I guess there’s a bad connection somewhere inside which is remedied when heat is applied.

Still working ok after a few hours now. At least I can set her new iPad up with a restore etc.

Also saved me a trip to the Genius Bar!!

iPad, iPadOS 14

Posted on Sep 29, 2021 5:43 AM

Similar questions

1 reply

Sep 29, 2021 5:59 AM in response to 26bosman

Application of gentle external heat can sometimes revive a Li-ion battery that has been allowed to discharge to a very low level.

Li-ion batteries are susceptible to permanent/irreversible damage through being left discharged for long periods. It is essential that Li-ion batteries are maintained with some level of charge if damage is to be avoided. Prolonged deep-discharge will lead to irreversible battery failure.

Batteries - Maximising Performance - Apple

Bringing a dead iPad back to life!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.