You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Preview: opening and closing of documents and windows is very confusing.

Is there any way to tell Preview to actually close the documents that are (tabbed) in a window so that they do not re-open the next time I fire up Preview?

Please do not Shift-Command-W me. That is most inconvenient.

Can't you just add a stupid dialog asking what you want to keep open and what to close when you hit the red button or Command-W?

Thank you

Evanthia.

Posted on Oct 3, 2021 2:12 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 3, 2021 4:17 AM

evanthia63 wrote:

Please do not Shift-Command-W me. That is most inconvenient.

If not that you can hover over the tab you wish to close and click the close button.

You can share your thoughts with Apple here: Feedback - macOS - Apple

Similar questions

3 replies

Oct 4, 2021 12:02 PM in response to dialabrain

What you are suggesting is exactly what does not work in Preview.

I do exactly what you suggest: I hover over the tab I'd like to close and click the close button. But after Preview quits and restarts it reopens all the files that were closed in this manner. This is the main problem that Preview has.

Acrobat asks "Close all Tabs?" before exiting, and that is a better behavior.

Moreover, Command-W should close the tab AND the document; if it is the last tab, it should close the window (and the document). If closing by hitting the red button, Preview should ask whether the tabs AND the documents should be closed and forgotten. When quitting, Preview should ask whether all the documents should be closed and forgotten.

Finally, when opening an attachment from Mail or other programs, Preview should pop up the selected document/attachment. It does not.

All the best

Evanthia

Oct 4, 2021 12:48 PM in response to evanthia63

evanthia63 wrote:

I do exactly what you suggest: I hover over the tab I'd like to close and click the close button. But after Preview quits and restarts it reopens all the files that were closed in this manner. This is the main problem that Preview has.

That's not what happens on my computers. Only the tabs left open reopen for me. That's the way it has always worked.

Preview: opening and closing of documents and windows is very confusing.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.