You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Thunderbolt ports

I have a late 2015 iMac. It has two thunderbolt ports - rectangular 1/2 ports, NOT oval thunderbolt 3. I want to use these because I need to connect some additional devices to my machine. I can't find an any adapters or hubs that would allow me to connect these to anything like modern USB devices. Mini display connectors are available to connect these ports to HDMI, etc. but not USB. Is there any way to use these or are they worthless?

iMac 21.5″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Oct 6, 2021 9:15 AM

6 replies

Oct 6, 2021 12:17 PM in response to Warrren Anderson

The male plug on that adapter is oval Thunderbolt three, allowing one to connect an older Thunderbolt 2 device to a newer Mac with the oval Thunderbolt three connector - the exact opposite of what I need. I need a converter that can plug into a Thunderbolt 2 male plug and provide either Thunderbolt 3 or usb slot(s). I can't find anything like this on Amazon, eBay or anywhere else, so I'm very frustrated that Apple dumped support for this connector and these slots are unusable.

Thunderbolt ports

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.