You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMessage on iPad

Hello everyone. I don’t know if this question was asked before but I can’t find a proper answer. Lately I bought iPad mini 6. It is my first apple device after many years of using android devices. My question is. Do I need iPhone to set iMessage? I have iMessage app on iPad but can’t log in by using Apple ID. I know it would not work with phone number as I have android phone but I thought it would work with email address. When I tried enabling iMessages in cloud, it said that accounts don’t match but I have only one Apple ID so I don’t understand what is going on. Sorry it’s new to me. I am from Europe so my English may be not clear but I hope it’s understandable. Greetings

Posted on Oct 9, 2021 9:29 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 11, 2021 11:50 AM

mrwoolly,

Thanks for taking a look at those steps, and for providing that additional information and screenshot.

Going forward, do you by chance have access to another known good Wi-Fi network you could attempt to activate iMessage from?

If so, we would recommend testing on another network to rule out a possible network issue causing the error.

If still having issues when trying to activate on another network, ensure that your iPad is updated to the latest iPadOS version with the steps here: Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

If already up-to-date, or if the issue persists after updating, then we would recommend reaching out to Apple Support directly at this link here: Get Support - Apple

We hope that's able to help.

Take care!

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 11, 2021 11:50 AM in response to mrwoolly

mrwoolly,

Thanks for taking a look at those steps, and for providing that additional information and screenshot.

Going forward, do you by chance have access to another known good Wi-Fi network you could attempt to activate iMessage from?

If so, we would recommend testing on another network to rule out a possible network issue causing the error.

If still having issues when trying to activate on another network, ensure that your iPad is updated to the latest iPadOS version with the steps here: Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

If already up-to-date, or if the issue persists after updating, then we would recommend reaching out to Apple Support directly at this link here: Get Support - Apple

We hope that's able to help.

Take care!

Oct 10, 2021 11:51 AM in response to mrwoolly

Hey there mrwoolly,

Thanks for reaching out to the Apple Support Communities. We understand you're having issues with activating iMessage on your new iPad mini, and we'd be happy to provide you with the best steps.

To get started, we do want to let you know that you do not have to have an iPhone to set up iMessage. Also, we understand you're getting an error saying that your account doesn't match when trying to enable "Messages" in the iCloud Settings, correct?

If so, are you signed into your Apple ID in Settings > [Your Name]? If you are, do you see that same email listed in Settings > Messages > Send & Receive?

Also, take a look at the following resource that may be able to help further with this: If you can’t turn on or sign in to iMessage or FaceTime - Apple Support

Be sure to go through all the steps listed here, as well as the "Get more help" section at the bottom that goes into more details about verifying your email if it shows incorrect.

Let us know if that's able to help.

Take care!

Oct 11, 2021 11:34 AM in response to Chris_V89

Thank you for the reply Chris, but it still doesn’t work. I am trying to activate iMessage another a day but to no avail. Before I wrote here I also checked the exact website you put link here. When I go to Settings>Messages there is my email I use as Apple ID but I can’t do anything there. Every time when it tries to verify it shows the same error . Unable to contact iMessage server. Try again. The same is when I open Message app and write my password it ends the same way. I will want to switch my android phone to iPhone but that will happen later this year. Maybe if I activate it from iPhone then it would work on iPad but as you said it should work without the phone.

Anyway, thank you so much for trying

iMessage on iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.