You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

if I upgrade to Big Sur will it support my MS Word 2008 for Mac?

If I upgrade my MacBook Retina 12" 2015 to Big Sur will Big Sur support MS Word 2008 for Mac?

MacBook, OS X 10.11

Posted on Oct 10, 2021 1:58 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 10, 2021 5:52 PM

No, it will not. Microsoft Office 2008 is a set of 32 bit programs and will not work on macOS Catalina or later which only run 64 bit programs.

You will need to buy an newer version such as Office 2019 ro 365 or an alternative application set like Libre Office or Apple{s own Pages, Numbers and Keynote. Both of which are free.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 10, 2021 5:52 PM in response to SSM1953

No, it will not. Microsoft Office 2008 is a set of 32 bit programs and will not work on macOS Catalina or later which only run 64 bit programs.

You will need to buy an newer version such as Office 2019 ro 365 or an alternative application set like Libre Office or Apple{s own Pages, Numbers and Keynote. Both of which are free.

if I upgrade to Big Sur will it support my MS Word 2008 for Mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.