You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Music: how can I permanently prevent AutoPlay?

Using Music 1.1.6.37 in Big Sur 11.6.

Every time I play a song or an album in Music, the app adds other songs it wants me to hear as soon as mine are finished. I know I can go to "Playing Next" and click on the infinity icon to prevent the app from adding songs each time, but it's a drag to have to do that EVERY time I want to play a song.

Is there any way to permanently disable this annoying feature? I don't ever want the app playing songs it has chosen after I'm finished with the ones I've chosen.

iMac Pro

Posted on Oct 10, 2021 4:34 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 11, 2021 1:22 AM

Reading between the lines at Use the Playing Next queue in Music on Mac - Apple Support:

Turn Autoplay on or off: Click the Autoplay button  at the top of the queue to turn Autoplay on; click it again to turn it off.

When Autoplay is on, the button changes 

Note: When you turn off Autoplay on a device that uses your Apple ID — your iPhone, for example — Autoplay is turned off on all other devices that use the same Apple ID.

it would seem that the autoplay state should be a function of your Apple ID. Once you turn it off it should stay off, and be that way across any devices using your iCloud Music Library that supports this feature. Testing here it seems my iPhone is better at picking up a change in state than Music. Closing and reopening Music picks up on a change I made on the iPhone. Once turned off it appears to stay turned off for me.

Note that even with this feature off the default queueing method when you select something to play is to play that item and then anything else that is checked in the current view that follows it, or anything in the current view if shuffle is enabled. Using the filter field (View > Show Filter Field), column browser, or album/artist views may be useful in narrowing down what is visible for playback.

tt2

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 11, 2021 1:22 AM in response to Roger Barre

Reading between the lines at Use the Playing Next queue in Music on Mac - Apple Support:

Turn Autoplay on or off: Click the Autoplay button  at the top of the queue to turn Autoplay on; click it again to turn it off.

When Autoplay is on, the button changes 

Note: When you turn off Autoplay on a device that uses your Apple ID — your iPhone, for example — Autoplay is turned off on all other devices that use the same Apple ID.

it would seem that the autoplay state should be a function of your Apple ID. Once you turn it off it should stay off, and be that way across any devices using your iCloud Music Library that supports this feature. Testing here it seems my iPhone is better at picking up a change in state than Music. Closing and reopening Music picks up on a change I made on the iPhone. Once turned off it appears to stay turned off for me.

Note that even with this feature off the default queueing method when you select something to play is to play that item and then anything else that is checked in the current view that follows it, or anything in the current view if shuffle is enabled. Using the filter field (View > Show Filter Field), column browser, or album/artist views may be useful in narrowing down what is visible for playback.

tt2

Oct 11, 2021 10:36 AM in response to turingtest2

Thank you for your response. It works on my iOS devices, but alas, it doesn't work on my Mac. (All using the same AppleID.)

EVERY time I play a song on the Mac I get a lengthy "Playing Next" list. I hit "Clear", the list disappears, and no second song plays. Butt he next time I find a song or album I want to play, there's a lengthy "Playing Next" list.

Closing Music and re-opening it has no effect here. Same thing happens every time.

Surely, there must be a way to stop this.

Oct 11, 2021 12:35 PM in response to Roger Barre

As noted, the default queueing method when you select something to play is to play that item and then anything else that is checked in the current view that follows it, or anything in the current view if shuffle is enabled. Using the filter field (View > Show Filter Field), column browser, or album/artist views may be useful in narrowing down what is visible for playback.

A possible workaround is to mark your whole library as unchecked. You would then only be able to play one track at a time. If you wanted to play an album in sequence, for example, you would need to select them and check them before starting with the first track, then untick after playback to restore the single track playback behaviour.

Another workaround is to type some text into the filter field so that uniquely identifies a single track, then that will be the only track that plays.

tt2

Apple Music: how can I permanently prevent AutoPlay?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.