You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Listening to paid-for music across devices???

For some reason all my paid-for music in my library is greyed out when I access iTunes from my Mac... after reviewing some forums, I learned it was due to the "Sync" option not being enabled.

THE PROBLEM - when I try to enable sync, I get an error saying "This account does not have iCloud Music enabled" - however, when I check my icloud account, I don't see any option to enable music. This message also alludes to something about Apple Music, of which I am not a subscriber.

If I'm reading between the lines here, do I really need to pay a monthly subscription just to listen to my already paid-for music across my devices? Is that what's happening here?

I used to have no issue playing my music across devices... is this a new monetization "feature" by Apple to force me into Apple Music? or am I missing something completely?

Super frustrated that I can only seem to access my library from my phone. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Posted on Oct 11, 2021 9:11 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 11, 2021 10:49 AM

Your should not have to subscribe to Apple Music to listen to songs you purchased from the iTunes Store (or imported (from a CD for example). If you don't subscribe, you will not see the Sync Library option - that is normal.

The fact that your music is greyed-out may mean that you library got corrupted somehow our it got moved. Check using:

Music > Preferences > Files

to see where Music is looking for your library and then use the Finder to see where you music is.

You might find this helpful:

Overview to syncing your Mac and your devices - Apple Support

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 11, 2021 10:49 AM in response to Galahood

Your should not have to subscribe to Apple Music to listen to songs you purchased from the iTunes Store (or imported (from a CD for example). If you don't subscribe, you will not see the Sync Library option - that is normal.

The fact that your music is greyed-out may mean that you library got corrupted somehow our it got moved. Check using:

Music > Preferences > Files

to see where Music is looking for your library and then use the Finder to see where you music is.

You might find this helpful:

Overview to syncing your Mac and your devices - Apple Support

Listening to paid-for music across devices???

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.