You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hanging on Boot up, cannot reinstall in recovery mode

Hi

Bought a 2nd hand Mac last week privately.....late 2015 27" Core i7, 4Ghz, 1TB Fusion Drive. All worked perfectly.....until this evening. System is hanging on boot up half way on white bar startup. So booted in recovery mode.....ran first aid on disk utility, says all ok. Attempted to reinstall Big Sur.....this is where I'm confused.....

I get to this screen and it asks me to select the disk to install MacOS......

So as you can see, this is my only option. However, when I select it, I get the following message:-

I don't have any data that's non recoverable - I just want to start the system from scratch - once I get it booted up I can do some more diagnostics and see if I can find if there are any issues.

Not sure if this is relevant, but I've searched this, and I've read that there should be two disks in disk utility - "Macintosh HD" and "Macintosh - Data"

Mine say "Macintosh" and "Macintosh - Data". (ie there is no "HD" in the first one) - not sure if this is relevant.....

Any help would be very gratefully received. Thanks in advance!

iMac 27″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Oct 11, 2021 4:43 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 11, 2021 4:54 PM

Try launching disk utility in recovery mode and wiping the drive.

If that doesn't work try opening internet recovery mode by holding cmd+option+r.

Similar questions

1 reply

Hanging on Boot up, cannot reinstall in recovery mode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.