You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Starting Quicktime

Why does finder open automatically each time I start up Quicktime? It's as if it's asking me to locate a file to open when all I want to do is start a new screen recording. If I close the finder and start a new screen recording, it records but doesn't save. I'm running Catalina 10.15.7

Kam’s 27" iMac 2019

Posted on Oct 12, 2021 2:56 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 13, 2021 7:31 AM

Hello djkam2001,

We see that you have questions about Quicktime and screen recording.

When you first open Quicktime it’s expected to show the “Open File…” window. If you close the window and click File > New Screen Recording you should still be able to record your screen and the video should be saved after stopping the recording.

When you start a new screen recording, you should see the Screenshot toolbar. If you click the Options dropdown you can choose where the screen recording will be saved.

To stop recording, click the stop icon in the menu bar. If you quit Quicktime without stopping the recording it will not be saved.

Keep in mind, you don't have to open Quicktime to start a screen recording, you can press Shift + Command + 5. That will bring up the Screenshot toolbar where you start a screen recording. How to record the screen on your Mac

We hope that helps.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 13, 2021 7:31 AM in response to djkam2001

Hello djkam2001,

We see that you have questions about Quicktime and screen recording.

When you first open Quicktime it’s expected to show the “Open File…” window. If you close the window and click File > New Screen Recording you should still be able to record your screen and the video should be saved after stopping the recording.

When you start a new screen recording, you should see the Screenshot toolbar. If you click the Options dropdown you can choose where the screen recording will be saved.

To stop recording, click the stop icon in the menu bar. If you quit Quicktime without stopping the recording it will not be saved.

Keep in mind, you don't have to open Quicktime to start a screen recording, you can press Shift + Command + 5. That will bring up the Screenshot toolbar where you start a screen recording. How to record the screen on your Mac

We hope that helps.

Starting Quicktime

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.