You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does entering your Apple ID while checking a product's warranty status tie that product to your account?

Does entering your Apple ID while checking a product's warranty status tie that product to your account?

I bought a HomePod (ex-display) from a UK retailer. I plan to gift or sell it and want to check online how long a warranty Apple say it has.

I know they say 12 months from date of purchase, but I've found other manufacturers' warranties which claim to run from d of p have mysteriously set the 12 or 24 month countdown running early. (One reason might be if someone bought, registered and returned it?).

To check the warranty, you need to enter your Apple id. I'm an Apple newbie & I'd just like to know if I can easily divorce the product from my account (or vice-versa) leaving no tie. And not affecting the ability for the buyer to register it or use the warranty. It wouldn't mean it got labelled second-hand?

Finally, would a buyer need the receipt to get warranty care or just the date of purchase? (They might be annoyed when they see how much more they paid for it than I did!)

Posted on Oct 12, 2021 5:17 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 13, 2021 3:13 AM

I don't believe that checking the warranty status is the same as registering the product to your Apple ID. I've just checked the status of my wife's secondhand iPhone 6S and it hasn't been attached to my account in any way that I can see. The warranty applies to the product, not the owner, and runs from its initial sale.

See https://www.apple.com/legal/warranty/products/uk-ireland-universal-warranty.html for Apple's terms.

tt2

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 13, 2021 3:13 AM in response to fffade

I don't believe that checking the warranty status is the same as registering the product to your Apple ID. I've just checked the status of my wife's secondhand iPhone 6S and it hasn't been attached to my account in any way that I can see. The warranty applies to the product, not the owner, and runs from its initial sale.

See https://www.apple.com/legal/warranty/products/uk-ireland-universal-warranty.html for Apple's terms.

tt2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.