You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have multiple users on my old Mac. Will migration assistant move their information, setup and applications? Or, do I need to run the Migration Assistant for all users

I have multiple users on my old Mac. From my account as administrator, Will migration assistant move their information, setup and applications? Or, do I need to run the Migration Assistant for each user?

iMac 24″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Oct 12, 2021 7:13 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 12, 2021 7:52 AM

It will migrate all users. When you execute it please follow the steps in Setup Assistant and Migration Assistant, why... simple, it is the fastest and most reliable method and works 100% of the time assuming your Time Machine External Hard Disk is functioning well.

3 replies

Oct 12, 2021 7:22 AM in response to Bill_G73

I believe it's one user at a time, you need to be in the account to open migration assistant, if not you could migrate someones admin account without their permission.

Personally I'd migrate set up the new computer with the apps you need, patch them, then migrate your data per user, not the apps if possible. I've done a number of single migrations over the years for end users and this seems to be the most stable procedure for me when I'm finished.

Oct 12, 2021 9:13 AM in response to Bill_G73

To add to the reply by @ rkaufmann87, when you setup your new Mac and before you use Migration Assistant, it's best to create an admin account with a name unique from the accounts you plan to migrate, and then login to that account and run MA.

If you already have created a user account on the new Mac that has the same name as a user account that will be migrated, then you're going to find what appears to be a duplicate account (like "User" and "User-1") after migration, and merging those accounts and user data can be a little bit of a chore if you've already begun to use it.

I have multiple users on my old Mac. Will migration assistant move their information, setup and applications? Or, do I need to run the Migration Assistant for all users

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.