You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Contacts adding ellipsis to one name - and only one name?

I have a very similar question to this person here:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/252247906

So far as I can tell, for 4 entries in my Contacts list, and only 4 out of 862, Contacts displays the name in the main card with ellipsis, for example "Grant Per...". It doesn't matter how big the window is. It doesn't matter if it's a "person" or a "company", or if the name is in the "First Name", "Last Name" slots or the "Company Name" slot. If I add letters onto the name, then it displays the whole name! Then I remove the extra letters, and it displays a truncated version ending in "..." again.

Like the original poster on the thread I linked above, I have a hard time believing this is intentional behavior, with how quirky it is and how few entries in my Contacts it affects.

I'm running macOS 11.6. I think this started before Big Sur.

Posted on Oct 13, 2021 5:28 PM

Similar questions

1 reply

Oct 14, 2021 2:13 PM in response to M. Hannemann

Hello M. Hannemann! Thank you for participating in the Apple Support Communities.

We understand that when your contact’s name is shortened, it includes “…”, but when you add letters, it displays the full name. We'd like to look into this with you to see how we can help. 

As mentioned in the previous thread, this may be expected behavior. However, we’d recommend reaching out to Apple Support to look into this further: Get Support

Make it a great day!

Contacts adding ellipsis to one name - and only one name?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.