You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos optimization and size questions

If I have optimize photos turned on for my computer, then I want the size info of the full size photo - do I need to check that in iCloud? If I edit the photo on my computer, I understand it downloads the original - when I finish editing - is it saved as the full size or as the optimized size on my computer and then full size in iCloud?

iMac 21.5″, macOS 11.5

Posted on Oct 13, 2021 11:16 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 14, 2021 1:03 AM

Hi - No, you don't

If you mean the image size info in pixels, or the file size, then the info pane for a photo (CMD-i) will always show the actual size of the master image - even if it is only stored in iCloud. (This data is part of the photos app database)

Similar questions

5 replies

Oct 14, 2021 2:23 PM in response to TonyCollinet

Thank you that is helpful. What about:

1) is there a way to see the size of the optimized file?

2) If I edit the photo on my computer, I understand it downloads the original - when I finish editing - is it saved as the full size or as the optimized size on my computer and then full size in iCloud? I assume so but want to be clear. It's not spelled out.

Oct 14, 2021 2:47 PM in response to LizMacBook

Hi -

1 - No, you can't see the size of the optimised file, and in any case it is not that simple. Space on your drive is taken by preview and thumbnail versions of the image, as well as the database storing all the organisational structure of your library, and the edits to your photos.

2 - When you edit in photos, a new file is not created. The database simply stores the "instructions" for the edits so a new file can be created dynamically from the original by applying the edits whenever needed (eg for further editing, printing, or export). Yes a copy of the original is downloaded so you can see all the detail while you are editing. After you have finished editing, then (eventually) the copy of the origninal on your mac will be removed, but maybe not until the space is needed. The exact defintion of when it is removed is not published.

Photos optimization and size questions

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.