You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OS Big Sur

Hi, I have a 2017 MacBook Air. I have been using High Sierra and have been reluctant to upgrade because I knew several programs wouldn't work. Programs like Microsoft package (Word, etc.) won't work which I don't use much and the expensive one is QuarkXpress 9.5 which I don't really use anymore, but sometimes I want to open an old file and I don't want to pay over $800 a year to open a file occasionally.... So my question is can I keep a copy of High Sierra either on my hard drive or on an external drive and switch to it If I need to open an old file and If I can how.... Thanks

a lot for any Info.

Posted on Oct 14, 2021 12:26 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 15, 2021 2:21 PM

Certainly you can download older versions, at least some anyway: How to get old versions of macOS - Apple Support

Create a bootable installer and at installation choose where you want the OS to be installed. I've never installed MacOS to an external drive like that but I don't know why it won't work. You're going to get far better boot times if you install it on a good portable quality SSD.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 15, 2021 2:21 PM in response to cadcoffee

Certainly you can download older versions, at least some anyway: How to get old versions of macOS - Apple Support

Create a bootable installer and at installation choose where you want the OS to be installed. I've never installed MacOS to an external drive like that but I don't know why it won't work. You're going to get far better boot times if you install it on a good portable quality SSD.

Oct 15, 2021 7:16 AM in response to cadcoffee

What I did was clone an external SSD with the existing old MacOS on the internal drive. Once I confirmed the SSD was actually bootable, I upgraded to Big Sur. I haven't used the SSD yet, but it worked before and I expect it to work in the future as an external boot drive of the old OS.

Actually, being slightly paranoid, I did the same with an old external HDD I had sitting around so I'd have dual coverage of the old OS.

OS Big Sur

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.