You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can’t use my hotspot with my Apple tv since updating to iOS 15

I have an old Apple TV, I think 3rd gen, The one where you can’t download apps to it, you just get the ones that came with. Ever since updating my iPhone to iOS 15 when I go to connect to my iPhone hotspot from my Apple TV it just says “wrong password” but doesn’t give me the option to change the password or input a new password to connect to the hotspot. Does anybody know how to forget the WiFi account I was using (my iPhone hotspot) so that I can enter a new password, or does anyone know how to get to the enter password part of connecting. Every time I click on the Wi-Fi account that I’ve been using it just says wrong password but doesn’t give me the option of changing the password or entering a new one, if that make sense. I even tried resetting my Apple TV and deleting everything off of it and still the same thing. I’m hoping the third generation Apple TV is still compatible with iOS 15. Any help would be appreciated.

Posted on Oct 14, 2021 10:20 PM

12 replies

Oct 15, 2021 4:30 PM in response to Chrisk29

Hi there Chris,

We'd like to help get your Apple TV working correctly with your iPhone Personal Hotspot. Let's start with ruling out some basics:

1. You mentioned recently updating to iOS 15, but the latest version is iOS 15.0.2. You can verify this within Settings > General > About. Here's a link that'll show how to first back up, then Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.
  2. While the latest available is tvOS 15, the latest for your model is Apple TV Software 7.4. Is this the version installed? You'll need to connect to a Wi-Fi network for now as you're having issues with Personal Hotspot, but just in case, here's how to Update your Apple TV.
  3. You also mentioned resetting your Apple TV, but have you tried a restart of your iPhone? If not, this link shows how to Restart your iPhone.

Take care!

Nov 7, 2021 9:28 PM in response to Chrisk29

Hi everyone.

i had the same problem with Apple TV. After calling apple I was told that the personal hotspot wifi security protocol has changed to 5hz with the latest update. There is now no way to connect 3rd generation Apple TV to personal hotspot.. I was told to buy a modem and set up a wifi at home.

im single, only me and I have lots of data on my phone so I have always only used hotspot for all my internet needs. I was furious that apple didn’t provide an update for Apple TV to the new wifi protocol.. instead they expect us to buy a new Apple TV, or spend on unnecessary modems and further internet connections..

im gobsmacked that even in this forum the apple consultant wasn’t honest and disclose this to everyone in this forum, instead they provided useless time wasting steps that will never solve the problem..

my suggestion is that everyone makes complaints to apple, as I believe in consumer rights and apple does not.

it is just absurd that apple can make our existing hardware obsolete and unable to communicate with our other apple devices.. this is unacceptable and I have reported them to the ACCC in Australia. I suggest everyone does the same. Make some noise! Apple milk everyone for upgrades all the time. It’s pathetic that now we all have perfectly fine Apple TV units which are now useless unless you go out and spend more money on 3rd party solutions..

don’t let them get away with this. It would probably take just one of their programmers 10 minutes to fix and issue and upgrade for Apple TV! 😡

Dec 22, 2021 10:50 PM in response to Chrisk29

For 11 years the iPhone (for me) has been my (and many other people’s) solution for remote data connection on basically every device regardless of the OS platform. Now that box has been unchecked… and it’s on their own product.

Last year my carrier adjusted their data billing structure which resulted in me having more data than I could possibly use in a month… which up until now was fine because I could just stream on TV (3rd Gen). Without the ability to connect I’m sitting with over 100GB of data every month that I can’t use like before. Add to that, the lack of transparency from support just adds to the frustration of something not working in an expensive ecosystem where everything “just worked.”

If this is a software change to keep up with wifi progression, could personal hotspot not broadcast on multiple frequencies… old & new) or at least give us the option to toggle and switch?

Can’t use my hotspot with my Apple tv since updating to iOS 15

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.