You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine to Backup an external hard drive to a second external hard drive

Hi Everyone, I am trying to use Time Machine to backup an external hard drive to a second external hard drive. I click on Options at the bottom of the Time Machine window. This is where you can add or subtract items to "exclude these items from backups". In this section, the drive I would like to back up is on the list, but grayed out. Since it is grayed out, it is not allowing me to select the minus sign to remove it from the list of items to exclude from back up. Any ideas? I am on an iMac Pro with Big Sur. Thanks!

Posted on Oct 15, 2021 6:19 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 15, 2021 6:42 PM

Time Machine can't back up volumes in some formats, such as FAT32. Copy the data off and reformat it, or use a different backup method.

Copies moved to the internal drive will be backed up unless excluded.

(206383)

Similar questions

2 replies

Time Machine to Backup an external hard drive to a second external hard drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.